Fly Tying
Kudu

Gamechanger-Articulated fly/Body material choices

I don't know how many are tying this fly but it is pretty neat and it is a very expensive fly if you don't tie it yourself $11 per fly. Tying it yourself is not cheap so I am trying to go about tying it in a judicious fashion.

I have done the following: body fur, wapsi palmer chenille, and a combo of a head done with a craft fur and flashabou dubbing brush, body ep sparkle brush, tail feather and ice dub brush. Right now I probably like the body fur the best but it is close with the conglomeration of dubbing brushes. The palmer chenille is my least favorite by far. The segmentation does not articulate well with it enough, my hypothesis being due to the material not being dense enough. I tested each in one of my ponds while my son was running his remote control airboat over it.

Also, the tail is by far the most difficult part. I have used congo hair and feathers both to make the tail.

Any tricks or other observations?

I know I didn't post pics because I find it is a pain in the ...!

Thanks Kudu, was going to make the same post today.

I tried two different kinds of EP brush last night with moderate success. Hopefully Hareline's Body Fur alternative is good since I do most of my purchasing through them and they dont carry the CCT.

I will probably spin up some congo hair brushes tonight and try them out.

For tails i took the easy way and used the large ultraseude magic tails. Might try the Frantic Tails from Flymen (Fish Skull) too.

I so w8 the day they get Palmer Chenille to local web shops... I have tried many materials, but no success yet.

I make my own connections out of S.S. welding wire (works on sharks too) and sparkle fur for most of my bodies. tails are made from feathers, fun fur, lazer wrap. I add ice dub to the sparkle fur and place in a dubbing loop.

post-624-0-17665800-1376005476_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-93452400-1376005526_thumb.jpg

This is an underwater pic I snapped of one I made from junk hook shanks. I used Laser Dub as the body material, total length on this one is smaller, about 4" or so. I did dubbing loops of the Laser Dub and did each section progressively shaggier, more picked out, and brushed out more to give it the tapered profile. It got pretty sick action in the water.

P8050213_zpsed4ce708.jpg

This is an underwater pic I snapped of one I made from junk hook shanks. I used Laser Dub as the body material, total length on this one is smaller, about 4" or so. I did dubbing loops of the Laser Dub and did each section progressively shaggier, more picked out, and brushed out more to give it the tapered profile. It got pretty sick action in the water.

Very well done!

TheCream, absolutely awesome. did you do anything to the tail to make it stiff or leave it just as is?

Did these for local smb, been getting fall fish and blue gills too.

post-624-0-37024600-1376058203_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-87283300-1376058207_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-39178900-1376058230_thumb.jpg

post-624-0-42334600-1376058234_thumb.jpg

this one is a musky fingerling

post-624-0-80801300-1376058371_thumb.jpg

Hey Sandfly, we want to see pics of the shark! smile.png

Fly looks great.

Thats the one I gave away on another forum Dean, got some flack so next give a way will be on here..

Cream that laser dub one looks great. What did you wrap on the shanks before winding dubbing loops or is that silvery body just the laserdub?

TheCream, absolutely awesome. did you do anything to the tail to make it stiff or leave it just as is?

I used some mallard flank for the tail. I took two feathers that were pretty close in size/color and snipped out the tip to give it the forked look, then tied each feather in cupped out. It was "gold" mallard flank for this one, I think.

Cream that laser dub one looks great. What did you wrap on the shanks before winding dubbing loops or is that silvery body just the laserdub?

That's the "core" of the Laser Dub. It's obviously picked out to form the body, but the thicker core of the dubbing loop close to the shank gives it that underbody look. It's just Lazer Dub in a loop, nothing else.