Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fish shaman

hello from southeast Georgia

Howdy to all of yall.Im in Savannah GA and I was born and raised here.Maybe some of you will feel sorry for me because there are no freshwater trout anywhere near here and Ive never even seen a smallmouth bass first hand.There are fish here though.A lot of the best opportunities are in the salt though and alas I love the fresh.This is my first post ever on the internet period.It feels good to be out of the shadows and if you look at my join date youll see what I mean.My handle should be the lurkinator.Other than the Bass Pro shop there are no fly shops or clubs that i know of around here.I am very happy to be a part of this forum and I really think it has helped me tremendously.Some of the members I feel like

I know because I have read so many posts on here.I tie all of my own flies now and make my own leaders.Sometimes I even catch fish on them!Everyone on this forum has has contributed to what i have been able to accomplish and I thank yall..I feel like I have learned enough now to at least be able to ask the right questions and I know there are good folks on here with the answers.By the way,Im a panfish lover,and tho I wasnt raised that way I crush my barbs and tho I will harvest some bluegill and redbreast to go with my grits and hush puppies,I am very mindful of conservation.Enough about me.Looking forward to talkin fishin with yall

Welcome out of hiding. I too love the pull of a panfish on my line, in fact, even though in Florida we are completely surrounded by salt water, I have only fly fished it once. Panfishing is my passion, not so say I will never fish the salt again, I just prefer using the lighter weight rod.

howdy flpanfisher,yep I love me some bream.Im assumin wadin is not on your game plan much either.Its not recommended around here.Howz the fishin in your area lately?The fish here have gone deep and gotten hard to locate in the couple of ponds ive been fishin in.My favorite river has been posted with pollution warnings and had a few major fish kills for a couple of years now.Major bummer.A certain company is still being allowed to discharge into the Ogeechee river.Dont let me get started.Hope youre catchin a few.

Nooooooooo, wading is definitely out down here as are belly boats and float tubes. Too many gators and water moccasins, not to mention you would probably sink knee to thigh deep in muck if you waded. The gills are deep here too right now from the heat. A week or so ago, I caught a few bream for a good friend of mine (a veteran) who is in the final stages of cancer. He enjoyed a fish dinner every now and then, but has gone to an all liquid diet. Things should pick up for us again about October/November when it cools down a bit and the shallower bite is back on. Good luck with your fishing.

Hey fl,your friend deserves our thanks for service and our prayers.Its a very good friend that shows up with blugill for dinner.Fresh is always best and leave the tails on .I like crunchin on the fins.Are you in an area that has all the exotic (invasive)species I keep hearin about?

I leave all of the fins on them, just scrape off the scales, cut the heads off and remove innerds. That's the way they like them. No, they don't survive the winters up here. They are in a more southern part, and especially in miami to okeechobee. It can get down into the 20s here at times and they don't care for less than 50s I believe for peacock bass, not sure what temps the cichlids can withstand. Most of the lakes here are shallow saucer lakes and they heat up and cool pretty quickly. I heard that they tried years ago to stock peacock bass up this way and they didn't survive. I have never eaten a cichlid, but on a trip to okeechobee one time, a bunch of guys out of NC went down along the tamiami trail and hit the canals and came back with large coolers full of them. They filleted them just like bream, but never heard how they tasted.

hey flpanfisher,Ihope you check back in some time.I got a cramp in my typin finger last night.If I try to type over about six or eight words a minute plus corrections my head will explode.I would love to talk panfishin some more with you.Stuff like gear, leaders,flies and such.Holler at me any time but Im usually busy in the daylight and on here nights mostly.Im gonna try to get my son to help me get some pictures up but im ssllooww learnin on a puter.Enjoy the fishin and good luck on the catchin!

hi and greetings from another savannahin. as you see in my screen name i to am a fanatic about catchin bluegill and redear. escipally with a 3 wgt and my ulrta light rigs. i do feel the pain that you are going thru, as i sure do miss my vactions to alabama and mississippi. theres just not enough places here to fish for bream. there are serveral nice city owned lakes but they are very heavily fished. and then there is ft stewart, for $35.00 gets you access to some very well stocked ponds and access to the canochee river, yep wading is not a option here or is float tubing to many gators. but i will fish from my kayak. best thing i ever did was get one to were i can get on the water ive been tying my on flies and jigs now for about 5 years. i do like to fish saltwater too but just cant pass up the tug on a ulrta light and pull in a big bull gil at the end of your line.

Good to hear from you GBF.From the sound of your screen name we must have some things in common.I absolutely love catchin bluegill etc.... on my 4 wt.Wish I had a lighter rod but that will have to be later.Im lookin forward to hearin more from you even if youre still a lousy bait fisherman on this forum.(I have graduated recently!)All kidding aside, I would like to talk fishin with you.Welcome to the forum.

hi fish shaman don't know what part of this city you are in. but i got some new info about a new place to fish fresh water, i hope to be thier some this weekend. its behind love's seafood. there was a article in the savannah morning news back in febuaray and i just now have found this place. had i fellow kayak stop by a few days ago, when he got out first thing he said it smelled fishy. that can only mean one thing. fish are still on the beds at this place.

Hey GBF,Im on the southside but grew up on the eastside around Thunderbolt.I know where Loves is but are you talkin river or pond?used to be Big Johns pond around there but I probably couldnt find it now.I have fished the Ogeechee river from Kings Ferry all the way to Morgans Bridge and up further than highway 80.Not much at all the last few years tho.A few years ago I was catching redbreast up to 12 inches ,some over the pound mark.Only went to the Ogeechee once last year and there was another rash of fish dyin right after.My boat hasnt moved since August of last year.(cryin shame).That was the first time I actually fly fished moving waterand I did catch a few small redbreast and stumpknockers.Almost crapped my pants when a 3 ft gar took a little grub lookin fly dropper hung off a tan foam hopper!I was happy the hook popped out cause I was afraid for my rod.Lookin forward to hearin more from you.

Hey fish shaman, sorry I haven't been on much, been working 4 pm - 2 am, which really knocks the snot out of me. Hopefully, my schedule will change and I will have more time soon. As for gear I have a 7'6" 4 wt and an 8'6" 3 wt that I use for panfishing...I just love the rod bend with those things. For a leader, I use about 6 foot of an old tapered leader with a 6 lb test Ande clear tippet about 4-6 foot or a furled/twisted leader of 6 lb Ande with a 4-6 ft tippet. It seems to work well. The flies I use are normally floating flies usually made out of foam...poppers, flat foam spiders, hoppers etc tied onto a 6-10 aberdeen or a 3x long curved shank hook. Haven't been able to get out much lately due to hours and rainstorms here this summer. They both seem to coincide (if I'm off, it's raining). But things may gel this fall for me and I'll be able to get some fishing in. Feel free to send me a private message and I'll give you my email address and you can message me anytime.

hi fish

man what a small world LOL. i to am on the south side in the pardise park area. no its not the little pond behind loves. its about a 10 minute drive just up the road from loves. i know the owner of love's but due to insurance problmes she wont let any one fisht it now. but you can still access it from the river side. well drats i cant post a pic of the new fishing area. but you can easily find it on google earth.

flpanfisher,nice to hear back from you,my first real fly rod purchase was a7 ft 6 inch 4 wt that is stiff as a broom stick.It was very hard trying to learn to cast that thing.My next rod was a 9 ft 4 weight that I loved the action on.Broke the tip off in a truck door and havent sent it off yet.If you are hand twisting those mono leaders, I have been experimenting for quite a while with these.I have tried micro swivels at the fly line to leader and at the leader to tippet connection(not on the same leader).Those are great when learning to cast for letting twist out of your leader and are great when fighting the rare larger fish I have hooked.Recently made a couple without surgeons knots which tend to pick up weeds like crazy.I used a bobbin and whipped tying thread around the twisted leader where you would tie a knot normally,clip the bobbin loose and do some double half hitches and head cement the thread.It worked!Loops on both ends and no snaggy the weeds.Talk atcha later,Tracy

GBF,We need to get together and you can show me how bad I can be outfished with a flyrod,shouldnt be hard to do.I went to the lake behind Savannah Mall ealy this morning and got skunked again for a couple of hours.Fish really piss me off when I come away feelin like theyre smarter than I am.I did snag a stump that started to swim off after I tugged on it a few times.Foul hooked a big carp.I know because my fly when I pulled it back had a big thumbnail sized scale on it!At least somethin bent my rod for a second.If you get into some fish ,holler and Ill meet you there.Holler loud cause Im in Windsor Forest.Later on,Tracy.