Fly Tying
Alex C.

Do you keep or release your catch?

Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me it depends on the species, I keep about a 1/3 of all the walleye I catch.

Pike-Bass-always go back in the water after a picture, panfish all go back unless they're perch and we catching them for a fish fry. I kept the first fish I caught of each trout species just to see how they tasted. And as far as salmon go I'd say I keep just about all of them. If a fish is large enough to consider being mounted I take 2 pics and can hopefully afford a graphite repoduction biggrin.gif

I keep some of the fish I catch. I keep my limits of striped bass, blue fish, trout, and salmon. Everything else gets to go back.

I will only keep a fish if I am near certain that it will die because of injuries I have caused it. On the other hand I fish only for salmon and trout because they are the only things available and they are the native species. If I wanted to eat smallmouth bass and caught one in Nova Scotia for example, I would have no problems with keeping a legal limit.

I only keep a saltwater fish or 2 to eat. never freshwater fish dont care for the taste.

I don't like cleaning fish, so they usually go back rolleyes.gif

We do usually have a fish fry of bluegill and perch when we take our yearly vacation to Wisconsin. I will keep crappie from time to time if I get a good mess of 'em.

-MuskyOnTheFly

i keep some trout, depending on where i am fishing and who i am fishing with. i put a limit on the size i keep (have to be above legal and nothing over 16 inches). but if and when i get my first 20+ in trout, i may keep it for a mount. havent decided on that one yet.

as far as warmwater fish go, cant stand the taste of them so i always throw them back, unless someone asks me to keep a few for them.

steelhead, i dont get out enough for them, so i keep most, and salmon go back unless really, really fresh.

When I'm camping in the Sierra I'll keep a nice pan sized fish for dinner and release the rest. When I fish the lake Ontario tribs for big browns in the fall I let all of them go, for a couple of reasons, let them spawn, and I've been told that lake Ontario water is full of heavy metals from so much lake side industry including the Kodak facility in Rochester. I might be worng but I think the water is much cleaner in lake Erie? Besides, smaller fish taste better. Large bass start tasting like moss but the little ones tast great fried in butter and garlic.

Graham

Trout & steelhead i release, salmon i dont like the taste of so they go back. About the only think i keep are some walleye,perch and bass(OSD loves the taste of bass tongue.gif ) but even then its not to often. I probably release about 95-97% of all fish.

SD

but the little ones tast great fried in butter and garlic.

Stop, your making my mouth water.

BFR

It depends on my mood. Sometimes a whole season goes by without me keeping fish. Other years I keep some from most trips. Yellow Perch rarely go back in the water. Everything else is a toss up.

One thing I have to share is that if you eat fish you must someday try Lake Shore Drive spice from the Spicehouse in Chicago. This has nearly replaced Salt and Pepper on my table for its versatility, and on fish it is amazing! They do mail order and have become my main place to get spices. Their stuff is fantastic.

I like to catch fish much better than eat them and besides, I can buy fish to eat.

You can't get fried chicken out of a fried egg.