Fly Tying
Alex C.

Do you keep or release your catch?

Do you keep the fish ou catch or put em back  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends on how fish hungery I am. On the average I keep maybe 10 trout a year Gillies and crappie I will keep the legal possession limit of each over winter other than that I release everything else especially the lunkers. I had a bad experience several years ago over a large mouth bass I was going to have mounted ended up not having the cash so, in the end the fish was wasted and I have not gotten over it yet. Besides pictures are easier to carry to show off!!! Not to mention being better for the fish and cheaper to boot!!!!

I had a bad experience several years ago over a large mouth bass I was going to have mounted ended up not having the cash so, in the end the fish was wasted and I have not gotten over it yet. Besides pictures are easier to carry to show off!!! Not to mention being better for the fish and cheaper to boot!!!!

Next time take your pics and check out the graphite reproductions, in my opinion they are the way to go.

I've got quite a few fish mounts myself. One word of caution on the reproductions though, make sure you look at some of the guy/shops work before you plunk the money down. I have seen some repo mounts that were great and then some that were really sick.gif so check out their work first.

SD

One word of caution on the reproductions though, make sure you look at some of the guy/shops work before you plunk the money down. I have seen some repo mounts that were great and then some that were really sick.gif so check out their work first.

that good advise headbang.gif

I c&r all wild trout and most stockers,it all dependswhere they come from. I won't keep and eat any fish that come from questionable waters. There are streams that are stocked by the State,that have an abundance of sewage treatment plants on them and the trout taste like and smell like s--- when cooked.

I never keep any fish because I'm such a great fisherman that if I did every trip would be over in a matter of minutes.

WOW! such modesty! laugh.gif

BFR

Don't keep trout...don't like the taste, wild or hatchery. I release bass. About the only fish I keep for the table are bluegill, crappie; catfish if from clean water. The Tennessee River watershed isn't the cleanest with advisories on most of them due to chemical pollution. The best crappie are from about this time of the year when the water is very cold. Spring and summer, the meat softens, to me. Then again, there is Captain D's or Long John Silver's.

Bout the only time I keep trout is when I am fishing a stream that has no wild populations and that is not very often. Every once in a while I have to bring something home so that my wife doesn't think all my fishing trips have an alterior motive laugh.gif Why would I want another woman any way??? Then I would have to come up with a whole new list of excuses to go fishing. My wife is actually very supportive of my habit and sometimes encourages me to go. Should I be worried? blink.gif

When it comes to panfish, I like to get a mess of them on occasion. Bream and crappie make a good seafood salad. Walleye...if legal they're going in the pan!

A.A.

Its a choice I make when Im landing a fish. I have no problem harvesting them, If I dont eat them I know lots of people that will.

I just gave away three Stripers, That were caught in Sept.I released a dozen or so from that nights fishing. No set rules its always a toss up.

Sometimes we will go fishing strickly for the kill, such as flounder.

I catch and release unless I am camping, then they are coming to the campfire with me.

Jim

Never cared for the smell of fish cooking.

Turns me off from eating them. I have kept a few when on a charter. They keep everything. Or if a friend wants one. Other than that, I let em all go.

QUOTE (Sean Juan @ Jan 22 2005, 08:47 AM)
I never keep any fish because I'm such a great fisherman that if I did every trip would be over in a matter of minutes.

headbang.gif

I release most, but must admit I keep a few each season... last count I kept 2 steelies (of 5) and 2 trout (of oh, about 60+ last season)... MMMMMMM trout....dangit now I have spring fever!

'Nix