Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HammerCreek

Woven Nymph

One of my earlier videos so it isn't the best quality, but this has been a very productive pattern for me.

Polish Woven Nymph
Hook: 8-14 Scud
Rib: Fine Gold Wire
Body: Brown and Cream Floss
Thorax: Golden Stone Dubbing
Thread: 70 Tan

post-49121-0-61427300-1376618741_thumb.jpg

flymph1_zps64b28bd1.jpgI've been tying a similar flymph but putting the bead farther back with the soft hackle and dubbing in front of the bead. I haven't posted pics on here before so I'll see if this'll work. It is not a great shot because it was shot before I got a camera with Macro. Here goes...

Okay, can't use that image extension on this board. So I guess I can't post photobucket pics.

Nice nymph HC. The shuttle weave you use is the one I have found to be most useful of all the various weaves you can do. You use almost identical technique to how I do it. Some people recommend not changing hands with the body material through the weave. The way you do it produces a more even weave in a more deliberate way. Not changing hands relies on rhythm to get the weave right and is more frustrating to learn.

Try using it with two strands of white Uni Floss over a Fl Fire Orange thread base (don't coat it). Doesn't look much dry but amazing when wet.

For those who would like to get to grips with this technique there is something that will help you learn it. Split the tying into three distinct stages;

Stage one, adding weight to the hook (bead head or wire or both), starting the thread building the under body, tying in the strands for weaving and ribbing.

Stage two, Weaving the fly body.

Stage three, Finishing off with dubbing at the thorax and anything else you want to add.

When you decide you want to learn to weave you start at stage one. Something you have done before on many other flies. At stage two you find yourself tying your arms and fingers in knots, but eventually you have a woven body. You have learned about strand tension and node position, and that this isn't at all as easy as it looks. Then you finish the fly off, and admire your new fly. Then you go to tie another. By the time you have done stage one you will find that you have lost everything you learned at stage two last time.

The way to do it is to take six hooks and tie them all to stage one. Put them aside until you have all six ready to weave. Then weave them one after another. When you finish the weave tie off the strands with a few turns of thread, half hitch, or whip finish, and put it aside. Weave the next one. Once you have woven all six then you can play around with thoraxes wing buds legs etc. Doing six weaves one after another will give you enough practice to get to grips with the weaving technique.

(Vic,To post an image hosted on photobucket, go to photobucket and copy the "Direct Link". At the top of the reply window here there are two rows of icons. In the middle of the bottom row is an "image" icon (blue square with a green and blue image in it) click that and simply paste your image link in the pop up's window, then hit OK. Its only two extra clicks.)

Cheers,

C.

Thanx Crackaig, got the pic on. Now how do I do that as a thumbnail? At least it shows the fly I was talking about. Rough and fluffy but 'gills just love it. I need to float it past some trout one of these days and see how they like it. One cool thing about weaving is that for a couple of bucks at Wally World you can have every color of punch yarn imaginable for use on these weaves. Here's another one as a streamer that I like almost as well as crappies.DSC00459_zps22c00b4e.jpg

The thumb nails you see are or photos that are uploaded to this site. If you click on "More Reply Options" and scroll down you will see the facility to upload here saving you the need to have the photo hosted elsewhere. Great unless you want to use the photo elsewhere.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig, excellent breakdown on how to get started. When I'm tying in "production" mode I'll tie them in the stages you describe. On other recommendation is to start with a material that won't move around when you switch hands if you are going to use the method in the video...medium wire on a size 10 scud hook is a good place to start. Attached is my "Iron Man" woven nymph made of wire and under-wrapped with tinsel. Once you get the cadence down you'll look to weave everything! Tubing, floss...P8160024_zpsdbd7b764.jpg