Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mergus Merganeser

A tragedy....

Hi folks!

AFTER it came out that Fish Farming Industry is the main sponsor of the World Fly Fishing I am simply embarrassed to be a Norwegian ..

This industry has caused in large parts of Norway, that it have been introduced restrictions on salmon fishing and over 120 rivers (Whole Norway) are now totally protected. In the area where the World Cup is held 30 of the 90 rivers closed, and most of the rivers that still can be fished are under strict restrictions. I mainly caused by the industry because of parasites and diseases!
A number of scientific reports supporting the criticism of the industry, but the industry continues unchanged and causing more and more closed rivers ..

The sponsorship agreement was announced just days before the tournament started and the organizers have not yet been able to provide an answer to what this Cooperation shall cause when participants have gone home. This despite numerous requests!!

Personally I react strongly that an industry that cause us not to carried out our hobby should sponsor such a championship. This is a clean knife in the back for all of us who are concerned with conditions for wild salmon and sea trout.

What do you think about this?

Sign the petition to show that you reject such a request (If you ...)

http://www.underskrift.no/vis.asp?kampanje=4751

We discussed about the matter here in Finland too and it really is a shame :( Money talks, money talks..

We discussed about the matter here in Finland too and it really is a shame sad.png Money talks, money talks..

Hi Rolsen

Is this topic been discuessed on any finnish Fly fishing Forums?

Here in Norway this is quite hot among flyfishers and other fishermen by the moment... This buisness is 100% ROTTEN! The Minister of Fisheries have large personal interest in this buisness and does NOTHING to protect Wild Fish. Corruption?? Ill say so, and many - many others With me.... Guess my children wont be able to Fish for Salmon when they grow up if nothing happens whith the way this buisness runs today! Its a shame, im a shamed and every Norwegian should be ashamed!

Hi Rolsen

Is this topic been discuessed on any finnish Fly fishing Forums?

Here in Norway this is quite hot among flyfishers and other fishermen by the moment... This buisness is 100% ROTTEN! The Minister of Fisheries have large personal interest in this buisness and does NOTHING to protect Wild Fish. Corruption?? Ill say so, and many - many others With me.... Guess my children wont be able to Fish for Salmon when they grow up if nothing happens whith the way this buisness runs today! Its a shame, im a shamed and every Norwegian should be ashamed!

A little talk has been done in our biggest fly fishing forum, but we mainly follow our competitors ATM :D More or less discussion will definitely arise after the last day of tournament.

In Denmark, small activists grupes, have now started to put little toothpicks with a label, declaring all the mishaps from farmed fish into the vacum-packed fish, ruining them and stating a point.

Think a worldwide protest like this could inform and enlight the un-enlighted consumers....

/Henrik

The truth is money does talk. Here in Scotland some politicians pockets must be wearing thin with the $£$£ being stuffed in them from the fish farms. I believe that in Norway the legal limits of sea lice per fish were reduced to try to make it more controlled, yet the same Norwegian owned companies in Scotland are allowed nearly 300% more lice per fish???? At the end of the day, if all the wild salmon dissappeared tomorrow the politicians dont care because for the mass world population they think they are buying 'wild Salmon'. They dont care it lived in a cage full of hormone/chemical filled pellets and shite. The cpmpanies and their shareholders will still churn out pellet pigs and to hell with a few (and we are a few in the grand scheme) anglers who think its a shame the wild fish are all wiped out. Dont forget we have the Chile farms polluting miles and miles of coastline, iceland and greenland netting the feeding grounds for wild fish, fish farms polluting the wild lochs and waterways and water abstraction reducing water flows and preventing running fish. The new drive for green rolleyes.gif energy sees hydro works stuck on any bit of running water that is half way big enough. The fish passes are woeful on a lot of these hydro schemes.

Makes you wonder how any salmon survive at all.

Im pleased that the Danish people react to this industry, thanks smile.png

The whole problem with the industry is that its propaganda machine is too big for us fly fishermen manage to drown out their voice ... Both wild salmon and sea trout struggling substantially for reasons created by the industry! Fishermen around the country take responsibility in the form of stricter and stricter restrictions. Parallel with this industry grows and becomes larger without taking responsibility in terms of changing their way of producing. Critics have always come with caveats, but time after time the industry manages to wriggle out of any responsibility!

If the next generation are going to have the same opportunities as us to enjoy this recreation is important that we continue to push the industry to take responsibility and make changes. Solutions exist, but the industry is reluctant to take this into use. It costs, but can actually a wonderful species as the wild salmon be measured in money ..??

Our minister of fisheries has done a very poor job ... Besides shovel money into her own bank account! Yepp, it's true! She has large holdings in this industry and she has clearly done her job by pursuing a policy that benefits own interests. During that time she has been minister, the wild salmon stock further reduced and even more rivers have been closed.

Its true as You say about the sea lice Piker20, but the amount of farmed salmon outnumber the Wild salmon houndred of times so the actual number of paracites if ABNORMAL! Far-far from Natural... Pure Logic of course! But how do the Fish farming indusry benefit from this? Well its simple; "The pressure from sealice is far lower now, than it have been! We Count lower number pr.fish now then earlier............" This is what they tell us! But of course they DONT say that the number of farmed fish is much higher now than before. The result is that the total infection pressure has increased dramatical because the number of hosts (salmon) has increased.

oh I agree, my point isn't that Norwegian farms are safer, any caged fish covered in lice cant be safe, but that the same companies that recognise and follow safety advice in Norway are happy to run farms in Scotland that disregard this advice and our politicians gladly allow it.