Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishn311

dubbing brush

Just wondered if anyone has seen a site on how to make your own dubbing brush tool that can make big brushes with with plans so I can maybe my own. I have seen one's for making smaller ones for trout. but I am looking for predator brushes. thanks

Perhaps OP ment a version for long fibre dubbing brush? If so, the basic construction is similar, but you have to have more room for spinning, i.e. the spinning must be done in air, without the supporting base.

check out the fotos below. look at how things are attached. be creative. experiment.

you could bang a nail into an edge of a workbench. wrap your wire around the nail, insert your dubbing and twist away.

or decide how long a brush you want to make. then build a dubbing block accordingly as there are no detailed drawings on the net to make one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dubbing+brush+tool&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AmUOUufJDefA4APk2YGQAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1058&bih=638

or buy a premade one

copy this one

http://willfishforwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/finished-dubbing-twister-machine-b.jpg

Here's a pic I found of mine:

DSC_0014-3_zps2f044122.jpg

Love the machine, it has lots of uses. The material table on mine is like 13.5-14" or so, and with the drop away table I can make some longer fibered brushes. I use Senyo Lazer Dub in it a lot for smaller streamer brushes, up to long select craft fir with 3"+ fibers. One thing you can't see that made a big difference is I put a roller blade bearing in the spinning end. It makes the operation really smooth. No need for a motor, I can hand spin them with ease.