Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Stonflo Bobbins, has anybody tried them?

I have two Stonfo Elite bobbins, drag is even better than in Rite, imo. I can recommend both :) Stonfo is very well made and sturdy, drag adjustment is smooth without any clicks unlike Rite.

Im glad somebody posted this! I have two rite bobbins which I like..but Ive been looking at the stonfo for a while. I like the "drag" doesnt look so hard to turn. The little wheel on the rite bobbin can be tough sometimes.

I just got one about a month ago. Im actually not crazy about it. The disc drag on the rite bobbin is kinda a pain to get at and turn but now I see why. The stonfo drag gets turned and loosened VERY easily in my opinion. Basically I find when Im tying it loosens itself and can be a little frustrating. I most likely will not be buying another one. This is really just my experience with it. I'm sure it works fine for other people.

For what its worth most of my tying is for commercial Musky flies over 12" so I am pretty hard on my bobbins and thread. Strength is important to me. I really like the bobbin "structure" of the stonfo because its more rigid, I just wish the the drag stayed better.

I've tried the Stonfo and I don't like it anywhere near the Rite. I like the Rite bobbins much better. The Stonfo is basically a knock off. The reason I tried it was people were saying it was comparable to the Rite. In my opinion, it is not. I'll stick with my Rite bobbins.