Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redfish King

Shrimp pattern

Im not framiliar with shrimp patterns but your shrimp with the palmered hackle looked good. Just keep working on it and adding improments like some thin skin laid across the trimmed hackle and a counter rib through the hackle and over the thin skin for segmentation. You prety much had the basic shrimp profile on that fly, from there you can build it up.

A craft fur shrimp is simple or I could not tie it. A craft fur tail, a dubbing loop with craft fur stuffed in and wound on the body like a hackle and eyes of choice ( mono, beadchain, barbells ). You can do an over wing of sili legs and/or more craft fur. Start with a #4 hook. Oh yea...use a sharpie to put bars on the tail. The speckled trout seem to like them....

I forgot to mention that I usually remove the under fur on both the tail and body but you get a fuller tie if you leave it in.

A variant of the borski craft fur shrimp is very simple an effective. craft fur for the tail, barred with sharpie, beadchain eyes, estaz or cactus cheniile for the body.

Here are two of "my" patterns that I would consider easy and staples. They have been tested, proven, etc. Any questions, ask!

Those are a couple of pretty shrimp patterns ... but I wouldn't use either of them to staple my paperwork together.