Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Glass rod resto

That's a nice look ... reminds me of younger days.

Yes, fiberglass was invented before my "younger days".

I have my first ever fly rod and it is fiberglass. Eagle claw. And I want to put some love into her. What paint did you use? Sanding technique? Just hold in hand and run back and forth or did you use a lathe?

To prep this rod I used a razor blade and VERY VERY carefully removed the old grip a little at a time. Being careful the whole time not to nick the blank. Once that was done I CAREFULLY began removing guides by cutting into the threads. If you stay on top of rod foot it makes it harder to hit the blank with the blade. After this I wet sanded the blank VERY lightly with 1000 grit wet sand paper.

I used Valspar spray paint for Lowes in I believe sunshine yellow. It took a TON of light applications as Steeldrifter recommended to me. It eliminates drips, heavy paint, etc. After that it cured for about a week before I started on the top coat. For my top coat Steeldrifter mentioned it doesn't matter too much on what you used. I had some expensive Polyacrylic topcoat that I was using for a desk so I used that. I put it on with a foam brush in really light coats, buffing in between.

My piece is this restoration was quite small. I just prepped and painted. Steeldrifter is the artist that turned this thing into a beauty. It also marks my 4th rod from him and couldnt be happier.