Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

need advice

Hi, I have been looking at videos about doing a dubbing loop. And I have tried it. But I am a simple guy I don't have a fancy rotary vice with a bobbin holder I just have a simple vise that holds the hook. Can you do a dubbing loop without a rotary vise and bobbin holder, lf so how

Yes, take your thread and make a loop about 4" long, then take a couple wraps back around the hook. Then hook your index finger at the bottom of the loop, place the dubbing in the loop and slide towards the hook, (if it starts to fall out twist the thread once), keep putting dubbing into loop until you have what you'll think you'll need. Twist the dubbing loop with your finger until it has many turns in it and starts to get a little tight on your finger. Then wrap the dubbing loop and tie off.

It's probably easier in my head than it is to explain.

Blane

It might be even easier for you to make a split thread dubbing loop.

Just untwist your thread so it's flat, then split your thread in 2 with a needle or bodkin and put your dubbing inside just like with a standard dubbing loop. When you are finished, spin your bobbin clockwise (from above) to lock the dubbing in place.

This works with any type of thread that will lay flat. For smaller thread like 8/0 uni-thread, try rotating the vise just slightly so you can rest the thread just behind the hook point. It is much easier to catch and split the thread this way.

I'd do a half-hitch or simple whip finish before working with the dubbing loop. Doesn't add much bulk and keeps you from bumping the bobbin and losing the wraps that are holding your loop.

• The simple vise you have is more than adequate. There is no need for a rotary vise for dubbing loops, let alone a fancy one.

Taking a turn of tying thread behind the loop before bringing your bobbin forward will help to keep the top of the loop closed (and prevent dubbing material from falling out at the top).

A shepherd's crook is a very handy tool for forming and wrapping dubbing loops. I actually like Cal Bird's version. You can make a workable copy from a straightened paper clip.

The suggestion to use less dubbing applies with loops as well.

A dubbing loop is usually the choice when we want to get maximum bugginess out of spiky and coarse dubbing. Hit the loop with a piece of velcro or stiff brush before wrapping to really roughen the body.

I am surely no expert but if you follow Bugsy's instruction you can't go wrong. Millions of them have been tied on the Thompson A vise use whatever materials you have or want to use. That is the fun of tying your own. I doubt the fish will thumb their noses.

Can you do a dubbing loop without a rotary vise and bobbin holder, lf so how

A dubbing loop has absolutely nothing to do with a rotary or true rotary vise it bobbin holder/cradle.

It is a simple technique of creating a loop of thread to which you insert various materials that may be a little harder to dub on a thread and makes it a lot easier to get a buggy type of look on a fly.

A GOOGLE search should find some tutorials on how to do dubbing loops.

I think Bugsy gave a pretty good explanation. One thing I usually do is apply a bit of wax to the loop before inserting the material. Helps keep the material in place before you close the loop. With the thread waxed, I touch dub the material to the thread, then close the loop, making sure the material is inside the loop. This makes for a really buggy body.

Another thing you can do is pre-make your dubbing loop (a dubbing brush) on a simple dubbing block. See picture. You can do this with either thread or fine wire. Take the brush, tie in the end on the hook, and wind up the shank. A block is mostly used for thread.

A great way to make a bunch of brushes ahead of time.

Dubbing block -

post-4211-0-51463200-1378737667_thumb.jpg

Dubbed with a pre-formed loop -

post-4211-0-79869300-1378737704_thumb.jpg

If you use a whipfinishing tool at can be useful; place on hook around the bottom of the dubbing loop and you can easily now spin the loop using the easy spinning of the tool. Hard to explain but easy to figure out.