Fly Tying

Ok, here's my first try ever! i plan to produce these on demand as handmade, if there is anyone fond of these kind of flyboxes, of course. Also i plan on building ore copmlex, more advanced hand made flyboxes, as in series production. Unfortunatly this is not going to be easy in my country, so there will be soe time until i acomplish what is now just an idea, but still i need opinion on my first try. This was made entirely with primitive tools, of which some were made by me, like some small chisels made of screwdrivers, since for enterior there aren't any special chisels to buy here.

materials list:

ash - for wood

simple enclouser system, since i couldn't anything magnetic in my little town

resin - good old all naturelle shellac lacca, disolvable in 96%ethyl alcohol, elements proof, deratologically neutral in ruby red collour
ash lumber is of consistant properties all through, so the under bark portion where wood worms are only able to eat ash(since it is extremly hard wood) gave these nice worm carvings

inner material - simple bathroom non-slip spongie thing - unfortunatly i wasnt able to find foam material ina retail, i could only order like 10k pieces pre cut, which was not an opnion for my budget of 0 whatever for such large order biggrin.png

Anyway, any proposition, sugestion good or bad is more than welcome. Thank you in advance.

Some pricing advice will also be apriciated, you know: How much would any of you be prepared to pay. Nevermind that you are not from my country, i just want to know :)

Here are some pics:

9669378303_4109db34b3_b.jpg

9669375787_2781c3486e_b.jpg

9669437195_7f4da7df1c_b.jpg

Edited by Gecko

Just from photos they look good. Personally I would prefer my wooden box to look unvarnished or as natural as possible.

it looks nice, try using an oil to protect it instead of the varnish, and maybe add a magnet to hold the box shut

it looks nice, try using an oil to protect it instead of the varnish, and maybe add a magnet to hold the box shut

Well i have some natural boiled flax seed oil for wood protection. Maybe that'll do! I will try it asap. thanx for reminder.

Some people will love the lacquered look so don't make them all identical. The reason id buy handmade is knowing that no two are the same. If I wanted identical id buy C&F boxes.

Some people will love the lacquered look so don't make them all identical. The reason id buy handmade is knowing that no two are the same. If I wanted identical id buy C&F boxes.

RIGHT! This is the main idea for my initial bulid. No two hand made are the same. They are all uniqe.

Also i will steal your Heraclitus quote! :)

Gecko, I like the worm texture and the overall look.

I have a couple comments.

I agree that the finish should not be glossy because when wet the box could slip from your hand.

Shellac, unless covered with a lot of varnish or polyurethane will spot if wet. Shellac hates water.

The clasp, (IMHO), is much better than magnets. It will hold the box closed if it gets hit or dropped.

How come every time I hit "Enter" the page scrolls down to the text below the reply box?

Brad in Kansas