Fly Tying
robday

So many material choices!

Hello All,

I am new to fly fishing and tying. I live in Colorado and primarily fish for trout. I go to the fly shop and there are so many choices in materials that it is a little overwhelming. I have only tied the basics so far with little variation in color or material. Wooly Buggers, Elk Hair Caddis, Adams, Pheasant Tail, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Ant. Any suggestions on other materials and colors for thread, chenille, hackle, dubbing, marabou, etc., that would be useful? I mostly have black, grey, and olive material.

Thank you!

It depends on what you want to tie. It doesn't do any good to by materials you don't use. Find a couple new flies that you haven't tied and by the materials for them. If you need some ideas on what to tie look online. I have a few different flys on my blog, that might give you a few ideas. http://fishbaitsflybox.blogspot.com

Robday you need to get 2 of everything. Just kidding. ( kind of) Muskyhunter said it well. Think about what you want to tie and go from there. I like to make a list of fly recipes and try to decide what I can afford and if there is a material that is in more than one recipe, even better. Just remember that you never have to follow a recipe exactly, you can always substitute and change materials that will work.