Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyTheGreat

Vise For 9/0 Hook

Hello everyone,

I'm going to start tying my own bucktail jigs and need a vise that can handle upto a 5oz jig and 9/0 hook. I would like the vise to be rotating and under $150 but if I need to spend more money then I will. Thanks for any info

I have a thompson "B" model I ground the jaws to hold large hooks 6/0-12/0 hooks, works great for jigs and such.

Peak with saltwater jaws. Ive tied up to a size 10/0 4x strong hook in it without any problems. I actually did a bucktail jig for someone at my local shop and that was a 10/0 treble.

Yep, the Nor Vise is fantastic. I've had one for lots of years but I usually tie without a vise. About all I use a vise for is to hold a fly for photos. For smaller stuff. like smaller than #2 I hold the hook in a Hemostat. I never tie anything smaller than #8 and not many of them. Most of my Bluegill flies are tied on #4 and 6 hooks.

Man, Captken.....you use some big hooks for BG. I have caught a few gills on big hooks but I always considered that a freak catch. I once caught a BG on a 5/8oz black jitterbug but ....I was bass fishing with a good friend that has since passed. Those big hooks should weed out the small fry and short strikers. 10's are my main size and 8 to 14's are my common size. I have been known to go to 16's on occasion.

Sorry about the hijack.. remove it

I'm glad to see someone else thinks as I do! Most times I also use flies tied on size 4 or 6 hooks for Bluegills & other panfishes. The smaller ones can't eat them, but most can. Lessens the problem of gut hooking them as they rarely swallow them. Perch & Crappies can get some bigger hooks in their mouths with ease. I've occasionally caught White Perch on jigs with 2/0 or 3/0 hooks in them while fishing for Stripers.

Joey, can't help you with a vise recommendation. The one I use for big jigs is home made. It can hold anything, but doesn't rotate. I've tied big trolling jigs on it up to 16 oz, and 12/0 hooks. smile.png

100_4631_zpscb5d9b0c.jpg

100_4630_zpse28f6945.jpg

100_4628_zpsd6e429a4.jpg

Tidewater,

Hey, now I know where my first vice went to! When I was first starting out around four decades ago I couldn't really afford a vice so my father had one of the welders he knew put a pair of vice grips on a threaded rod and presto, fly tying vice. I used it for a couple years. Unfortunately that was in the era when Mustads hook tempering was less than consistent so I managed to crush and break a number of hooks when I got a little too enthusiastic with the pressure. All joking aside I still have that vice, it occasionally comes in handy for other projects when you need a third hand. But if I need to put a serious hurting on big /0 something hook I still have the means!

Steve

Steve, I know what you mean about breaking hooks! I've crushed 7/0 size Mustads with this thing!

It's not pretty & it's not as functional as a nice rotatory vise, but it gets the job done! smile.png

What Tidewater has shown is what many of us used years and years ago when 99% of all vises were meant for freshwater and small hooks... I have one of those somewhere still. I used the smallest ViseGrip pliers and had them welded to a 3/8" threaded rod so that it would fit exactly in the base that my regular vise fit into. We even based the angle of the weld to precisely match the angle of my production vise and had them welded so that the lever end of the pliers was away from the tier..... It was fast to use, extremely durable and could be set for a particular size hook so you could do production work on big jigs (years ago I worked with jigs as big as 8oz and as small as a bonefish skimmer -depending on what the order was). Hope this helps

Here's another option. This is the kind of vise I used when I started tying back in the '60s. I doubt it would have been much good on a #20 hook, but I tied many a trout fly on it., along with big saltwater streamers. Mine had flat jaws, so damaging a hook wasn't an issue, but a couple of foam strips and some double-sided tape would most likely prevent damage.

post-281-0-85404600-1390746116_thumb.jpg

I have tied many, many flies on the ole 'vise grip' vise. I still have mine as well. I used a pair of small v isegrips that also had a narrow jaw and yes it will hold anything and hold it tight enough to use parachord as thread if need be. Well...maybe not parachord. Oh...wait a minute ....this is the saltwater forum. .....Yes, parachord is what I use for some of my tarpon flies......