Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Randyflycaster

Muddler Minnow Help: Cutting Collar Instead of Just the Head

I'm trying to try a Muddler Minnow. I was doing okay, until it came to the cutting. In the video below at the 10 minute mark,

the tier pulls the butts forward, separating them from the deer hair collar and then cuts the butts into the shape of the head.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-how-to-tie-the-muddler-minnow/

I tried this but I couldn't separate the collar from the butts, I think, and so I cut the collar. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Randy

Its all about taking your time and finding the way that works for you. If I tie this type of fly I will tie all the flies I am wanting and then the next day when I'm not tired or rushing sit down to trim them. I find I use a fine tip scissors to get in right at the collar side and trim back individual butts to begin with. Then using the razor like the vid and just stop short of where you think the collar is. Any stray butts still left I remove again with the scissors. A few butt ends in the collar will make NO difference to the fish or the fly but is a good tecnique to get down.

Cut the butts before tying them in and spinning, so they are shorter than the collar to begin with. Start trimming at the front of the head with the scissors parallel to the hook shank. When you get back near the collar, turn the scissors at a right angle to the shank and trim right next to the collar, to get a clean divison between the collar and head.

Hi Randy,

You can also use a piece of masking tape to hold back the collar hair, and keep it away from the hair that you want to clip until you get more used to trimming them. I think I read that in a Dick Talleur book quite a while back.

Regards,

Mark

Randy, all of the suggestions are good ones to follow. If you use the masking tape trick try sticking the tape to your shirt a few times before wrapping it around the collar hair. Sticking it to your shirt or pants leg a few times makes it not quite as sticky and it will release from the hair a lot easier.

Try using an electric razor that has a beard and mustache trimmer. I just tied some,and it works great.To hold down collar use a twist tie from a loaf of bread.Keep tying.

Folks,

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions. I'll give it another go.

BTW, for now am I better off just using scissors or should I start the trimming with

a double edge razor?

Randy

If you use a double edged razor blade be very, very careful. I hold them by the edges and press one side down on a hard surface and bend it over on itself until it breaks in half. Now you have two pieces but only have to worry about one razor sharp edge on each piece. Again, be careful. I wouldn't really want to know how many fly tiers have carved their fingers with a razor blade.

When you trim with a double edged razor, only do a rough trim, do all final trimming with curved scissors, always start out longer than you want it when you finish, you can't put the hair back and go slow. And watch out for the edges on the razor, it only takes once to turn it all red and leave a trail to the bathroom. Good luck.

Blane

Try using a piece of lead wire to hold the hair from the butts you are going to trim. You probably already have it on the tying bench. Just make a wrap or two over the hair.

I used the blue tape over the collar and wings and it worked great. I'm sure lead wire will also work. Also, I used only my curved scissors and my head came out okay. I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

Randy