Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokinprice

White Poppers

Prior to my injury I was working on some new popper colors. By the way I am still injured and cant work....been two months and no fishing or tying. Specifically I have been working on a white and black popper. Here in Maryland during the summer months we get a crazy white fly hatch. The smallies go crazy over them. Here are the two different versions. Which one do you like?

P1010300_zpsfa5efdce.jpg

P1010331_zpsd83a62bb.jpg

They both look great. Let the fish decide. Their's is the only opinion that counts.

Hope you can get back fishing soon. Being laid up sucks.

Dave

well Jeff its nice to see your still alive I thought maybe you went out and seen Chris Hubbard and the vampire ostrich got you both as for the Popper I like the second one from the collar back but I like the head on the first one better

I like the splash of red ... I think the fish sometimes key in on the little differences. All black and white might not be trigger enough, the red might. Or not ... I am betting both will get plenty of attention from the fish.

I like both bodies and tails. You might consider placing only small dots on the bottom and making the

space between them wider.

I like the Red and Black eye better than the White and Black.

But as Dave pointed out, the fish may have other ideas.

I like the second one, the grizzly hackle gives the illusion of movement and the red eye gives it a little pop. I think both would work though.

I like the red eye too. I like the grizzly too. But lures are to catch fish, not fishermen. Very nice job I must say. They really look professionally made. I would be proud to put them in my box and call them mine.