Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
billtiesflies

Best realistic fly tyer

Saw that some one started a thread on who is the best realistic fly tyer. As the topic was locked, here are some of my favorites besides most of the ones mentioned. You may or may not have heard of Kevin Mc Enerney, if he was still tying, he'd be a rock star , also one of the best deer hair tyers ever!!. Yaz Yamashito, who's nymphs are awesome, may he rest in peace. Ted Niemeyer, also i vote for Bill Logan also, his flies are truly amazing.

Bill Logan's dad Bill Sr. wrote an outdoor column for the now defunct Rocky Mountain News in the '70's here in Denver. The focus of Bill's articles was always fly fishing and I would gobble up any information he had to offer and thoroughly enjoyed fishing with him in print. He wrote Tuesdays, Thursdays and a Sunday story and I'll tell you it was all I could do to wait for the each and every paper for the latest Colorado fishing trip news. Bill Sr. fished a lot with Dick O'Conner...my hero.

Bill Sr. couldn't tie flies worth a darn and how the kid got so good is a mystery. Bill Jr. did get some of the writing skills from the ole man though.

Bill Jr.moved to New Jersey as a young man and now lives only a couple of miles from my hometown. Ironic...I went west and Bill Jr. east. Here's a NY Times article written about Bill Jr....http://www.nytimes.com/1998/04/25/nyregion/fishing-lures-too-good-for-fish-practicing-art-fly-tying-with-microscopic.html

I'm a fan of Ted Niemeyer too. I wouldn't rate Ted's flies as Ultra Realistic but he has skills I can only dream about. I first learned of Ted in Art Flick's...Master Fly Tying Guide. I can gape at his flies for hours in amazement !

I'll have to check out Kevin McEnerney...that's a new name for me.