Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LeakyWaders

Deer Hair Flies

nice hair bugs.

It helps a lot having very good quality hair to turn densely packed hair bugs.

You have most likely viewed Pat Cohens vids, you have it down pat! Keep playing around, I love working with deer hair and your work is great, here is a punk rocker i tied (pat cohen pattern)

Lets see more

Whoa, that's impressive! I'd love to get to that level... some day.

And Phish, you're right. The hair makes a huge difference, and right now I'm trying to use up some of the 'bad' hair that I have. A lot of the colors that I have are almost too thick, and stubby. I definitely prefer the long, thinner hairs for stacking like this. But for now, these are all just flies where I'm trying to learn techniques.

My biggest problem at the moment is that I can't seem to get my hair stacks to line up properly. The "dots" of hair that I put in the fly always seem to be off center as I move through the fly. And I tend to have a problem with hair spinning a little bit on the shank as I progress down the fly. I know it will all come together in time, but what I feel should be rather simple accomplishments are rather hard when you're dealing with tightly packed bass bugs.

What's even more frustrating is what happened to me a few months ago. I had a bass bug all packed and ready to trim, thought I had the colors and barring well-placed...then I started trimming. I quickly realized something was wrong. I wasn't paying attention to the hook in the vise, it wasn't perfectly vertical. So what I ended up with was all the deer hair rotated (as you look from the front) towards me. That was a lesson learned and a mistake that won't happen again because that bug got trashed, basically. Stripped all the hair off the hook with a razor and started over.

When you want to line up "Dots" you must pinch on either side while tightening thread(this pinching on the sides prevents hair from spreading), creating a great dot, if that makes any sense.

I do that. It's after I have "pinched" and finished my stacks that I seem to make the hair move. Perhaps it's just a matter of needing a better thread base for my stacks. It's just something that I will have to figure out as I continue tying these. It will all come together eventually. But it's definitely a process.

Do you use any kind of superglue to hold your stacks, and half hitches in place once you've packed the hair?