Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishoutawattta

Getting kids started

I'm a raw newbie tier, myself. So, the other night, my 10-yr-old found me tying and wanted to "help". He'd tied one fly at a demo (a San Juan worm), and was convinced he knew how. I don't have the know-how to help him much, so I'm wondering what is the best way to get him started. I've searched forums, and seen the suggestion: Woolly Bugger. That's fine, except it assumes that I've got the experience to get him going well. Tom Rosenbauer's podcasts suggest just giving the kid some simply materials and letting them "have at it".

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks!

Gary

I guess I'd have to agree with Rosenbauer - just make simple materials and vise time available to him, and don't make it too structured, time wise. (he probably gets enough of that in school) Don't push him, if he's interested, he'll pursue it. You could save some basic tying videos from YouTube for him, and make sure he has access to them. If he doesn't show a passion for tying right away, don't worry about it, that doesn't make him a bad boy. Just make it available, and don't "hover", he needs to be able to experiment a little on his own.

I am completely self-taught (didn't have anyone to help me get started), and I developed all kinds of interesting bad habits along the way, but that's OK, that didn't ruin my life OR my tying.

I also think it's pretty cool that you and he can learn together, and from each other.

go to this website.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

There's an excellent series of videos and written instructions that can take a new tyer from very basic techniques through to deer hair and classic salmon flies. I used to be a member of the forum there, but I didn't like some of the people. Most of them are good folk. You do not have to be a member, however, to view the beginner's fly tying lessons.

Youtube is a great, and I mean great tool to learn from, from basics to more advanced techniques. The great part is you can rewind and review as many times as you need to get it right, and if you have problems you have this forum to help clear most any and all questions you might have. I love helping people as much as I can, but there are many more wise men on this forum that can take you places I haven't even heard of when it comes to tying and they too are only to glad to help. I hope you find the help you need to enjoy for yourself and your son.

Best of luck.

Blane

I guess I'd have to agree with Rosenbauer - just make simple materials and vise time available to him, and don't make it too structured, time wise. (he probably gets enough of that in school) Don't push him, if he's interested, he'll pursue it. You could save some basic tying videos from YouTube for him, and make sure he has access to them. If he doesn't show a passion for tying right away, don't worry about it, that doesn't make him a bad boy. Just make it available, and don't "hover", he needs to be able to experiment a little on his own.

I am completely self-taught (didn't have anyone to help me get started), and I developed all kinds of interesting bad habits along the way, but that's OK, that didn't ruin my life OR my tying.

I also think it's pretty cool that you and he can learn together, and from each other.

When my youngest boy was 4 or 5, he wanted to "tie a hook". I turned him loose with some thicker thread and use of any peacock, hen feathers and such. I let him put things where he wanted and only helped to make them secure and tie off. 6 years later I just stumbled across those flies.... Not much to look at for most people, but I love them. He really enjoyed it, I don't know if it was because he was making something of his own (like a Big Boy) or spending time in close proximity to me... maybe a little of both.

I have only tied a couple time in the last 6 years and only for a couple of swaps & for some friends. I really want to hit the tying hard this winter.

Funny this convo came up because I did the same thing with my son this year. He just turned 11 but wanted to start tying (I'm also new) I just told him to go nuts with the stuff we have...He tied probably 25 flies. He doubted that they would catch anything so I brought him out in our kayaks and tied one on to my line. Caught a sunfish! Made his day (Of course I couldn't tell him sunfish will go at anything) Nonetheless I kept a few of his flies in my favorite fly box. I'm hoping for the holidays to get him a little package of stuff of his own and let him make some more. I even thought a fly-tying class would be fun to go to as long as its basic enough for him.

11 year old is old enough to get fairly serious. The hand-eye coordination should be there, although not all the patience that is needed. Don't push, but definitely encourage.

PS, I was about 11 when I started tying.

Woolly Buggers, Woolly Worms and Chenille bodied streamers with bucktail wings are inexpensive sub-surface patterns that will catch fish and keep him interested. When both you and he want to tie some dry flies take a good look at Fran Betters patterns the Haystack (deer body hair and some dubbing) and The Usual (all snowshoe rabbits foot fur) - you'll find them inexpensive and effective.

From those you can progress to the Compara Dun (a pattern that grew from the original Haystack pattern and adds split fiber tails) to yet another offspring of the Haystack call the Sparkle Dun (this one changes the tail material yet again by adding Z-lon). These patterns are proven, simple and inexpensive.

Good luck - enjoy