Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

kayaks vs. pontoons in moving water

you have to keep in mind that there is a world of difference between a purpose-built FISHING kayak and any other kind of kayak. Yes, you can fish from any kayak, you can also do a coast-to-coast move on a moped, but it would get real old after the first 50 miles....

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question. Based on what I've heard here (and what I've read elsewhere), I am most interested in the NuCanoe Frontier 12 and the Wilderness Systems Ride 135. At this point I think I am more interested in the NuCanoe because of its stability and its large array of options for customization. I will most likely use whatever kayak I buy primarily on still water for bass and do most of my fishing from a standing position, and the NuCanoe looks like it would really excel in that application. However, I plan on paddling both this spring or early summer and basing my decision on those trials.

Thanks again to all who responded.

When fishing, stability is really important. Here, inflatable pontoons are clearly superior, but only in still bodies of water like lakes and ponds. You can cast and reel without any shaky breaks because to its wider base and buoyant tubes, which make them less prone to capsize.

I just want to add- years ago a guy who I worked with sold me a float tube. I really didn't want it but decided to try it out on what I thought was slow moving water. It took me almost 1 1/.2 miles from where I started as I drifted into fast moving water and carried downstream. I reached a shallow spot and was able to walk out of the water. Some people camping gave me a ride back to where my Jeep was. I sold the float tube shortly after, but think I still have the flippers. Kayak or pontoon-know how to use it unlike me. 

On 12/25/2023 at 11:33 AM, MfishP said:

Kayak or pontoon-know how to use it unlike me.

Wow - fun to see this post again after more than a decade!  As many here know, I did end up getting the NuCanoe Frontier 12, and could not have been happier with it. I would still heartily recommend it to anyone looking to get into kayak fishing. I'm actually on my second NuCanoe now; I went with the Pursuit this time, and I am very happy with this boat as well.

I have been floating rivers every season since 2014 with no issues -- it is worth mentioning, however, that I always make a point of arriving at my take-out well before dark, regardless of how good the fishing is about to get around that time. My abiding nightmare is floating past the take-out in the dark! 😄