Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RyanRuttan

Today's Catch at "Football Lake" here in the Cariboo

Another awesome day, Caught these guys on a black and silver chironomid in six feet of water with the hook at about 3.5 feet down under a strike indicator.

With out a doubt it was a great day other than some bad winds. The big one is just under 5 pounds and a squeeeeek under 22 inches. The fish that come out of this lake are like little footballs. TONS of shrimp in the lake and all of them had full stomachs. For some reason they will still take a chironomid.

post-50586-0-87154600-1381089596_thumb.jpg

post-50586-0-15764900-1381089618_thumb.jpg

Actually it's not that bad, just have to get a handle on how much pressure to keep on the fish, keep the rod tip up and let them run when they want to go.

I like having the thin 4lb test because I feel like I'll get more bites compared to having a thicker more visible line. It also allows the flies that I use to sink faster without putting splitshots on the line.

On the assumption that those fish were going to be eaten or they wouldn't be lying there like that, have you ever baked a big trout like that? I would gut them, remove head and all fins, scale them clean (yes, there are scales), the the wife would stuff them with the sage dressing she used for turkey on T-day. She'd wrap them in foil and back them just like a turkey. When done the meat would just fall off the ribs and lateral bones and you'd eat it right off the skin. Oh man, that was some good eating. When I lived up north in MN on Lake Superior we ate a lot of fish so had a lot of different ways to fix them, and that was a favorite. Kind of like Bubba in Forrest Gump, lots of way to fix shrimp or fish.

Looking at your pics some more...small heads, thick bodies, thick right down into the tail, yep, they're eating good. Nothing stunted there.