Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crotalus

Switch Rods in a kayak

I have never cast a switch rod but I have read that an overhead cast can be used to cast heavy flies with minimal arm stress. Having just had my right wrist operated on for carpal tunnel and my left being done in a couple months I am looking for anything that will help chuck my big musky flies.

The next issue is that I do most of my musky fishing from a kayak. Has anyone used a switch rod for overhead casting from a kayak. I am thinking about a rod no longer than 10' to help with fighting and landing fish.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Also any recommendations on rods or blanks?

From my minimal experience with switch rods chucking big flys with a standard overhand cast its tough and might actually cause more impact than a single handed rod of that weight. But if you where learn a few casts using two hands, I.E. the snap T, that should help take some stress off your wrist. Although I'm not too sure how well those casts would work on Stillwater..

-miles

I realize the post is a few days old, but I'll try as I'm new to the board...

Kevin, that's a nice rod on the Beulah site. I haven't heard of them. I like the idea of a 10 vs (what I am thinking of buying) 11 foot. It seems the extra length is for surf casting (haha). Can you give me any pointers on using the switch vs conventional fly?

thanks in advance

bAb

I have very little experience with switch rods, but like you I am addicted to fishing out of the kayak. I used to always use my 9' 6" out of my yak until I found a Ross Fly Stik on clearance somewhere. Out of pure curiousity I picked it up. Right away I fell in love with it. I bought the 8wt version. Although the name is a little goofy and the color of the rod isn't everyones cup of tea, I found it to be light and capable of swinging all my big bass and pike flies with ease. I have never done any musky fishing but me personally none of my casts out of my kayak are of a great distance. With the FlyStik, you won't get a long cast but it loads up nice and can launch those big streamers with no false casting. As far as I know they come in 6, 8, and 10wts. Due to the reduced length it is a pretty light weight set up which I've grown to like. I am sure you've experienced this also, after a long day of fishing and paddling, the paddle back to the car is almost like torture. This rod alleviated a lot of that for me personally.

Thanks for the input guys. I have gotten answers all over place on this, some say it will be great, others say impossible.

I guess I will just have to watch for a good deal on a switch and try it out myself.