Fly Tying
eric_sthjrsy

Anglersworkshop Vice package (Tough Choice Need Help)

So, I am brand new to fly tying (just had my first class the other day) and want to invest in the tools needed to start on my own. I have been reading this website for the past week in preparation to ordering the tools this weekend. I have read pages of reviews and researched at least 25 websites everyone has posted in other forums to help out beginners. I have narrowed my options down to 3 prices/ vises. I can get an Anvil Apex vise for about 80$ (I am leaning towards this vise although it seems it is not a true rotary); then I found a place to get the Anvil Atlas for about 130$ but this one does not come with the bobbin cradle; and lastly but most expensive is the Peak vise for 150$. I WAS SET ON THE APEX JUST BECAUSE AS A BEGINNER I AM SURE THIS WOULD LAST ME A GOOD LONG TIME BEFORE I WOULD FEEL THE NEED TO STEP IT UP, however I just found the PEAK vise on the ANGLERSWORKSHOP website for 160$ (AS A PACKAGE) with all of the basic tools I would need to start out. My question posed to ANYONE willing to take the time to answer is: Has anyone purchased this Peak vise with that package, are the tools junk?? I could pay 80$ (APEX) but than have to spend the extra money to buy tools to start off, or spend 160$ and be ready to go (if the tools are half way decent) Any opinions would be appreciated

Hi Eric,

The vices you are looking at are all great quality and will last you for many years. My only advice on that front is try to get to sit at them, and go for the one that feels most intuitive to use.

On the front of other tools then think what do you really need? Scissors are top of that list, there are two schools of thought on scissors. Some people like to get the best they can and make them last a long time. I am in the other school of thought, maybe because I tie a lot of flies, to me scissors are a consumable. I spend as little as I can get away with and change them often, usually every 6 to 12 months. Recently I have sourced gold loop scissors for £1.50 a pair (about $2.50) If I get 6 months a pair out of them I can get longer out of them than a really good pair of scissors for less money. As you don't yet really know what you need from a pair of scissors I would look at buying a cheep pair something similar to these. They will get you through the next 6 to 12 months no problem. At that point you will know much more about what you want. You can demote them to cutting heavier materials. and buy what you want with some knowledge about your needs.

There are three other tools I view as almost essential. Bobbin holder, Dubbing needle (bodkin), & Hackle pliers. You can tie without any of these, just like you can tie without a vice, but you probably don't want to.

Bobbin Holder. How much do you want to spend? A few dollars or more than your vice cost? There are bobbin holders to suit all needs and all pockets. My suggestion is get a couple of fairly cheap ones with either ceramic tubes or ceramic inserts. The size of fly you tie will govern the size of bobbin holder you want. If you buy cheap and get metal tubes they will wear and start to cut your thread. This is very frustrating when you are starting out. You should be able to pick them up for less than $10 a piece.

Dubbing Needle. Make your own! Its only a needle stuck into a handle of some kind. Later you may find that one made with a sewing machine needle is better for some jobs. If you are one of the very few people without the skills to make your own dubbing needle then I pity your fly tying instructor!

Hackle pliers. If anyone ever comes up with a design that really works then it will be a miracle. Still they are useful.. Over the years to come you will probably amass quite a collection in the futile search for ones that work. To start with you could do worse then search English Hackle Pliers and pick them up for a few dollars. The last set of three I bought cost less than £2.

Other tools you might think you need.

Bobbin threader. Fold over a piece of ribbing wire and use that!

Whip Finish Tool. Use your fingers.

Comb. Get a nit comb from the pharmacy, or an eyebrow comb from she who wants to be obeyed's make up bag.

Hair stacker. Cartridge case. Clean it out with Coca Cola (when you see the way it strips the gunk out you will stop drinking it!)

Bobbin Cradle. Make from coat hanger wire. Simply twist around your vice stem three times and form an L shape with a small u at right angles to it at the other end.

Dubbing teaser. Stick the rough side of Velcro to a stick.

Most fly tying tools sold are a vanity. It is nice to use good tools but when you start out you will need materials. If you can learn to tie with a few tools the cash can go to materials. If you make your own bobbin hanger out of coat hanger wire then you will have enough left to make some hackle pliers. If you want to give it a go let me know I'll post the photo sequence. (No of course they don't work! At least no better than the other designs that don't work and cost you $$$)

Think its a good idea to stop there. I'm making a conceited effort not to be cynical!

Feel free to get in touch if I can help at all.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig, thanks for the detailed response, I agree with getting to sit down at these vices to get a better understanding, HOWEVER I am currently stationed in Germany and there are limited resources here to make that possible. That is sort of the reason I have posted to this website. I took my first class the other day and they used the Danvise which is now the first one I have sat on. I liked it, but again I have never sat on a different one, and its made from plastic.

As far as tools in the Peak vise package.. it comes with all of the basic tools you just listed off for just 15$ more than the listed price for just the vice (162$ total for the package). Seems like a good deal after reading the reviews on the vise, however I just am not sure if the tools that come with it will be actual junk or something I will be able to use. Like you said though.... buying cheaper stuff and just having to replenish more often may be the way to go.

For a little less money (Atlas or Apex) still good reviews and I could probably pick up the same tools for under 50$ total. Not sure what to do but I am sure I will make my mind up here in the next day or so. Thanks for the response

Get a Peak vise and the cheapest set of Dr Slick tying tools, if you just have to get a fly tying kit then get a streamside portable kit that you can at least use later after you upgrade to a nicer vise.

Whether the danvise is made of "plastic" is really irrelevant because the parts that physically hold the hook is metal

Danvise has probably sold thousands of vises and I haven't seen any reviews that stated the "plastic" failed in any way.

Many industrial products are made of the same "plastic" and have not failed

The tools supplied with the Peak vise are adequate, and things like the whip finisher, and hair stacker will last as long as you want them to. I have tied on the Peak vise, and its a good quality "lifetime" vise at a good price. Scissors, and bobbin holder are good enough to get started, but a ceramic tube or tipped bobbin will be something to pickup first chance you get.

I take the opposite view of scissors, I have several sets of US made Thompson Ice Tempered Stainless scissors that are over 20 years old. These have been sharpened by me a few times, and they still work well. For heavy cutting, I use a pair of Wescott Titanium 5" scissors. I also use several "cheap" scissors that I have picked up as "gifts" included in purchases from suppliers. Either way scissors that are not sharp are not worth using. Learn to, and keep a good edge on your scissors.

Thanks utyer, that's the type of feedback I was looking for. I have been looking around the web and even for the cheapest tools I could find will run at least 50 bucks with shipping (Bobbin holder, threader, bodkin, scissors, stacker, whip finisher). I did learn that the bobbin holder should have the ceramic insert which would be easy to pick up here in Germany if I do decide to go with the Peak package. For only 15 bucks for tools and a nice vise, this is looking like a pretty good deal. Thanks for the help

If that is the Trailhead Series for $160, I would snatch it. That sells for $219 at the store I work at. I tie on the PEAK vise it is great and so is there customer service.

On ebay you can find a set of 2 or 3 ceramic tube bobbins for usually around $13 and if you're in the military, shipping won't kill you. Also having 2 or 3 bobbins is always nice, can't ever have too many bobbins, the only use for metal bobbins is for wire or floss. IMO scissors are worth what you pay for them, each one has their own special use, I use disposable surgical scissors for wire, never my good ones, learned that one the hard way. One other thing that one can't tie without, is head cement.

Blane

SCOwens, I don't believe its the trailhead package. It looks like the actual shop throws in some tools with the Peak Vice. The reason I don't think its the trailhead is because the one I am looking at doesn't say the tools included are from Peak (It doesn't give brand name of tools). Additionally I looked at both the Peak website and Anglers Workshop and the tools are different. In the package I am looking at you get a Bobbin holder (metal not ceramic), half hitch Bodkin tool, wooden hair stacker, whip finisher, scissors, and hackle pliers for 162$.

You'll love the Peak vise. I love mine. I hope you already have it and are enjoying how heavy/stable it is. I'm sure the tools you got w/ it will be fine as we all have tied with basic tools. Expensive doesn't always mean better. BTW, my local shop sell bobbins with ceramic inserts for 5$. So you should be able to find these on eBay cheap. The only other thing I would say is make sure you have some fine point scissors. Get some and you'll automatically know why I'm saying this. Good luck, enjoy, and thank you for your service.

Appreciate that Evans1, I have not received it yet, but I am going to a school for two weeks starting today...... so I should be able to start as soon as I get back which is cool with me. I will go get the scissors you are recommending as soon as I get back.