Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

What's your favorite part of fishing?

As I spent the last two days fishing, I pondered a question. The question was posed at work, by a friend that doesn't fish. At the time, I couldn't really give him a specific answer. Since I sincerely like my wife, "Spending time away from the wife" is only a joking response for me.

I finally came up with the one thing that is my favorite part of fishing.

I am going to let this question ride for a couple of days ... see if anyone gives the same answer.

So:

What is the single most favorite part of fishing for you?

Escape.

Fishing requires intense concentration. It is a way to push all the other s%$& out of my mind for a while.

Cheers,

C.

I cant pick just one aspect. there are too many things that I love about fishing and they vary from day to day.

Some days it is catching fish. some days it is being in nature, some days it is being alone and away from the world, some days it is being with family or friends on the water.

I'm same as crotalus. Some days its just being out there. Some days it wouldn't matter if it was a muddy puddle so long as the line gets a pull. I guess ultimately for me its competing against nature to fool a fish or beat the elements. And folk who say it must be relaxing have never been sight fishing for that fish that would be a PB.

For me fishing cant be summed up in in sentence. there are to many reason why i like to fish. But i guess there is one reason that kind of beats the rest. The best part of fishing is getting away from all that is going on back in life and being free in the nature. Quietly walking though the forest as you fish your favorite stream is the best feeling in he world. No school, no work, no people. Its just you and nature, what more could you want.

In asnwer, I offer the following quotes, which say it perfectly for me, and more eloquently than I probably could:

"One great thing about fly fishing is that after a while nothing exists of the world but thoughts about fly fishing."

--Norman Maclean

"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly becoming the author of something beautiful, even if it is only a floating ash."

--Norman Maclean

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."

--John Buchan

Escape.

Fishing requires intense concentration. It is a way to push all the other s%$& out of my mind for a while.

Cheers,

C.

That would be my answer too. It lets me get away from everything else I have to deal with day to day!

Like others have said, fishing is an escape for me. Allows me to clear my mind and focus on the challenge at hand... fooling a fish with some hair and feathers. Nothing else like it in the world!

Okay ... I can't wait any longer. First of all ... I like all the answers so far, except flytire's !!! "It's just fishing." Really ???

Please allow me to explain my point of view why I don't agree with most of you, though.

1. "Getting away from it all" can be achieved in several ways, so fishing is only one way to do it and doesn't count for me as a reason to keep fishing.

2. "Getting closer to nature" only takes the hiking.

3. ANY good hobby requires intense concentration. It's not worth having as a hobby if it doesn't allow you to forget, at least for a while, everything else.

These are all good reasons for any one to have, but they don't work for me, because there are many other outlets that allow the same releases.

One of my friends said it was the fight ... but even that didn't ring true for me.

Then it hit me, literally: All of the reasons are secondary to the one thing that is exclusively "fishing".

For me, the single reason I keep going back to the water is ... the hook set.

That fraction of a second during which you detect the take and set the hook. Even the smallest fish (Unless you snatch it clear out of the water) feels like a monster in that initial moment when YOU pull on the line and know you've caught it. The fight is fun, but it's just a detail, "Will I land it or won't I?" But the hook set, ah, every fish is a trophy in that fraction of a second.

For me, it's the moment of finally catching that specific fish you've been spending so much time on before even touching the water.

Mike, Someone I know went C&R extreme and cut the points off his hooks so he only gets that moment and that's enough for him.

I guess it is different for everyone. I enjoy a lot of what was said, the hookset is great, the few moments after releasing a great fish and just basking in the moment is great, the time with friends is great. For me though the best part is simply being alone on my favorite river and pushing all other thoughts out of my head. I'm the type of person that constantly has a million thoughts going around in my head. I am actually a very bad insomniac mainly because I can't shut my mind down at night due to all the thoughts in my head. Yet the one time I can excape from all the constant thoughts is when I am fishing. When I am on the river my mind seems to go clear and the only thing I am focused on is what is right there in front of me, the river, fish, flies and nature. I feel like a different person soon as I step into the river and soon as I step out of it. So for me that's what is really my favorite part of fishing.