Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Favorite wading boots

OH how I miss my booties!

Back in 1994 or 5 I bought a pair of canvas flats booties to wear over my stockingfoot chest waders, and those bad boys outlived three pairs of chest waders and two pairs of hip waders, finally falling apart last Summer.

I found a good deal on a pair of Korkers and bought them this Spring. While they're comfortable and serviceable, I really would have preferred to find another pair of flats booties. I did try, but couldn't find a reasonably priced pair in size 14.

Why do I prefer them?

The Korkers are comfortable, and easy to slip on/remove, but they take literally days to dry out. The canvas booties were superficially dry within hours, dry to the bone in a few hours more, and I had much less concern over tracking any hitchhikers from one body of water to the next.

That's really the biggest thing. While my friends could tell you that I am far from an environmentalist, I didn't need a government funded study to tell me that jumping from one body of water to the next with wet gear carries risks, and so it was great to be able to dry and disinfect my booties so quickly.

Do you have a favorite pair of boots? If so, what makes them your favorite?

I am in love with my LL Bean River Treads, with studded Aquastealth sole. Easy on and off, super sturdy, super comfortable and I've never slipped on rocks once in three years.

By the way, you can solve that drying problem with a Peet brand boot dryer. My wife got me one for Christmas last year, and it is fantastic - put your wet boots on it when you get back from fishing, plug it in and leave them overnight, and they're bone-dry come morning. It uses just lukewarm air that is circulated very gently, so it won't damage the boots at all. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I have a pair of orvis boots can't remember the exact model but light, dry in a day if hung in a breeze. Good ankle support.

I use simms, had some felt ones that got lost on a flight so picked up some newer ones with the vibram soles, had a few spills until i realized that i needed to drill in tungsten spikes. Big smooth wet algae covered boulders are not good to step on without spikes! Yeouch!

I currently own and use my all time favorite boots right now. Korkers Kling-on. The reason is not because they are Korkers, it's because they have the Boa Lacing System. It's every bit as good as they say it is. Easy on-easy off, easily cleaned and replaced if need be.

Mine are no longer made. Bought a pair of Cloudveil 8x several years ago. Super light, super comfy. Felt soles, but I only fish a limited number of streams in them. When i go to shows or stores I will look at the Korkers and Simms with the rubber soles and Boa laces and think how nice they look until I pick them up. Then I dread the thought of walking all day in a pair of bricks. I know some day I will have to replace them, and that will be a sad day for me.

I currently own and use my all time favorite boots right now. Korkers Kling-on. The reason is not because they are Korkers, it's because they have the Boa Lacing System. It's every bit as good as they say it is. Easy on-easy off, easily cleaned and replaced if need be.

I second that. I'm actively trying to destroy the boa system with sand and mud, not having much success. That system is a tank on snowboard boots, we'll see how it holds up to winter steelhead fishing when it's actually frozen from the inside out. There is a lifetime guarantee on the boa system itself for winter gear, the ski shop I work at services them and usually there is a really good story of how it broke. Really easy to fix as well.

Mine are no longer made. Bought a pair of Cloudveil 8x several years ago. Super light, super comfy. Felt soles, but I only fish a limited number of streams in them. When i go to shows or stores I will look at the Korkers and Simms with the rubber soles and Boa laces and think how nice they look until I pick them up. Then I dread the thought of walking all day in a pair of bricks. I know some day I will have to replace them, and that will be a sad day for me.

How heavy are yours? I can hike/fish a creek with uneven terrain all day in my new Korkers and it not seem like i'm even wearing hiking boots.

I have the Korker Chrome with kling on studded sole. They are light have decent traction and they have a mostly synthetic upper so the do not soak up much water at all.

steve

Not sure mine are still made either. I bought a pair of boot foot chest waders from an Orvis outlet. They have a nice marsh grass camo pattern on them. Paid about $75 for them, which is about what I had paid in the past for Redball or Hodgman. So far they've done a good job & I've had no issues with them. I know a lot of folks like stocking foot waders, but I fish in places where there is often deep mud, so have come to prefer the boot foot. They're a bit warm in the warmer months, but I've gotten used to that.