Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
frogeyes

Fly line

Whats a good fly line for beginners? I bought my fly rod already lined and to me the fly line feels a little rough.

Rough as in the coating on the line is pitted and chipped (this would suggest a cheap line thats probably needing replaced)

Rough as in grooved like sharkskin or ridge lines? These are meant to hold water in the channels and make casting smoother, Personally I hate them.

For a general line to learn on I would always recommend Cortland or Airflo as I have never had a problem with their lines and you can normally find them on reduction somewhere. Look out for ebay ones without boxes, lots of fakes about. If your rod is rated a 6 weight line I would buy a 7 and when you have perfected your casting buy one that is a 6. The heavier line weight helps load the rod with less line outside the rod tip and you will feel it load better as a newbie. They are also good for those windier days or slightly bigger flies so you wont be wasting your money on a line only for starting.

The only line I've bought that I did not like was cabelas weight forward floating. Prestige or prestige plus I believe it was called. It was supposed to be as good as high dollar lines at half the price. The problem was it didn't float well at all. Constantly had to clean it and treat it. Didn't cast so great either. One of the cheaper lines I've liked is Scientific Anglers Air Cell WFF. Under $40 and I still have it on one of my rods after 6 years.

Thats where i bouht my rod at cabelas, and the line that came withe the reels suck. Thanks Piker ill look into the cortland and the airflo.