Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jd1983

Critique this fly

This is my first attempt at the Royal Coachman. I have a couple things in mind to work on for the next one (like getting both wings on straight) but wanted to get other opinions. So, what would you pick out as something that needs fixing.

post-48654-0-18075100-1382213152_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-52456900-1382213163_thumb.jpg

post-48654-0-50974400-1382213176_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I didn't realize how bad those pictures are. Can't find the real camera so I'm relying on the phone.

The only thing I would say is that your body needs to be better proportioned, it needs to be equal 1/3 sections. And the stuff that you said.

What kind of hook did you use? The shank seems a bit long for a dry fly.

As you know, the wings need work. They don't need to be pretty, but they have to be symmetrical or the fly will never land properly. I agree that the body sections should be equal, and I would shrink the whole body a bit to leave more room for the hackle. Having said all that, it is a good first try!

Mike.

Looks pretty good. The one thing that really jumps out at me is that the tail is just a bit too long. The other stuff just needs to be fine tuned. Good job.

even the tips of the tail

body work is decent

use quill slips from matched feathers (left and right side)

wing should be located at the 1/3 shank

hackle work not bad either. maybe equal wraps behind and forward of the wing. looks to be about 1 1/2 gape and thats ok

use the step by step below for tying in the wings

http://ukflydressing.proboards.com/thread/3059

video

Thanks for the comments, everyone. My original take on that fly was that, outside of the wing issue, I didn't start the body as far back on the shank as I should have and I crowded the body, wings, and hackle towards the eye of the hook. Glad to have those comments on the proportions, even tail, wing position, etc. I'm on #5 right now and will post some photos later.

Your tail is just a bit short, use longer fibers so that the first black bar still ends up just past the end of the body.

That hook does look a bit too long. It doesn't look like a standard length shank.

The wings are not long enough (you know they are not set right,) the wing length should equal the body length.

Your body starts far enough back. If you don't do equal thirds for the floss and herl, then make the center floss section the smaller section.

All these are thing that will come together with practice.

The hook is a 1x dry fly hook from Hook & Hackle. Wasn't sure if I wanted the standard or the 1x. Now I know!

Alright, this is attempt number 8. Overall, I think the proportions are better and I finally feel like I got the wing positioned close to where I wanted on the shank. My own view is that the tail could've been tighter and, even though I put 4 wraps of hackle in front of the wing, I ended up tying it back strangely when I did the head. I feel like this one is better than the first few. What do you all think?

post-48654-0-62290600-1382409141_thumb.jpg