Fly Tying
Simplejack

I need better Marabou..

I buy (and use) quite a bit of maribou (thank heavens lots of folks eat turkey....). I buy my maribou by the pound usually and make a point of purchasing "four inch strung blood quill" which should be what you're looking for. these days I see quite a bit of maribou that's intended for wooly buggers and it's much shorter than the four inch stuff I prefer....

The best I ever got was from an outfit that's no longer around - Hobbs Feather Company. They kept a high standard and would also break down a pound of the strung blood quill into your choice of four or five colors. Hobbs, by the way, was the only outfit I ever dealt with that would provide an end user (they were a wholesale outfit...) with a complete color chart of all the colors they dyed (and each color came with a sample of, you guessed it, blood quill..). Wish they were still in business.

Here's a pic or two of the patterns I use with maribou for any wanting ideas... One of my anglers yesterday used a Crystal Schminnow (the small white fly) in size #4 to catch and release a pretty little tarpon....

Tight lines,

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-52339200-1382402476_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-87210800-1382402477_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-43902300-1382402479_thumb.jpg

That style of marabou is just what I am looking for.

I just went to 6 different craft stores in my area and no one has good marabou or feathers.. Michaels had some that only came in White, Bright Green and Bright Red and it was just a seasonal item for Christmas.. It would have worked, but not the colors I wanted.

So yeah.. I guess next is to shop around the fly tying stores. Problem with ordering online is I buy a couple or a few bags, then they arrive and they end up not being what I wanted, then I wasted money.. Well, not really wasted as I can still tie flies with it, but it's not what I want for my flies..

Am I the only one that loves Waspi's woolly bugger marabou. For bugger's it's perfect, just make sure to pull the fibers from the side of the feather and don't use the stem in the fly.

I use Wapsi's wooly bugger maribou as well for accents on larger flies as well as for bonefish bugs. Good as the stuff is -it's quite a bit smaller than standard 4" blood quill...

I use Wapsi's wooly bugger maribou as well for accents on larger flies as well as for bonefish bugs. Good as the stuff is -it's quite a bit smaller than standard 4" blood quill...

I find it perfect for the size 10 I tie, am looking at trying chickabou as well. I have some marabou from partridge that I shot, "Partabou"? it is extremely soft but not quit long enough for a bugger.