Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

big rainbow trout pattern

Does anyone have a good rainbow trout pattern with lots of movement that is in the 12" range? I would like to use it for rockfish (freshwater striper).

You mean a pattern that mimics a rainbow trout? Skip Morris does a Morris Minnow Rainbow. Guess you can scale it up. Or some of the epoxy minnows look good as you can colour the body rainbow trout colours before you epoxy them.

for this i would use hollow tied bucktail in a rainbow coloring, at least 2, possibly 3 hooks. You could also use EP/congo hair

here are a couple I played around with last winter. single hooks, not quite 12". For the backs I mix green and blue/gray bucktail, i hand dyed the pink saddle hackle. used black marker for some spots.

8600310630_c60b6f251e_c.jpg

Here is are two earlier samples before I started mixing colors and dying the hackle

8479186456_70ef7d86d7_c.jpg

8409306931_821c4c8c8c.jpg

oh shit wrong topic... sorry...lol

Game changer was my first thought as well, but he wants them 12"+. you could use big game shanks, but I have no idea how much body fur would be required for a fly that length.

Where the heck is a freshwater striper called a "rockfish"? That's a new one for me.

"Bisharat's" Airhead (note: Charlie's name is on the fly, but John Ryzanich created the pattern) is a popular pattern in my neck of the woods for exactly the same bait/quarry (close enough anyway, our stripers are sea-run), and while a bit persnickety to tie, can create a very large pattern that is still light enough to throw easily with a fly rod.

You could also upscale an pattern like Galloup's Articulated Barely Legal, but depending on the size of the fish, you might have to use some pretty heavy weight stuff for the connection.

Odd are good, a suitably colored Clouser or Deceiver would work just as well, however.

Rockfish is what they call stripers in Maryland Virginia and North Carolina but never heard freshwater stripers called that.

Look up Staton Kline's "homewrecker". Its an EP fiber fly made to imitate trout. Pretty simple really, but deadly. Double articulated with up to three hooks. It will be in cabelas this fall. You can make it what ever size you want.

That is what I am talking about (homewrecker) I just wish I knew how to tie it? I looked for an sbs or instructional video and came up blank. As for the gamechanger it is a nice fly that I already tie. It is not big enough.

My buddy has been slaying the rocks (in Kentucky that is what we call them) on a large trout swim bait. The fish he is catching are 30 to 40lbs. His pics are awesome. The rocks have moved up the river from Tn reservoirs that are down stream. They predate heavily on trout and whatever else they can get their mouths around and are not a desired species in the river.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

That is what I am talking about (homewrecker) I just wish I knew how to tie it? I looked for an sbs or instructional video and came up blank. As for the gamechanger it is a nice fly that I already tie. It is not big enough.

My buddy has been slaying the rocks (in Kentucky that is what we call them) on a large trout swim bait. The fish he is catching are 30 to 40lbs. His pics are awesome. The rocks have moved up the river from Tn reservoirs that are down stream. They predate heavily on trout and whatever else they can get their mouths around and are not a desired species in the river.

Huh, lived in IN for a while, and had never heard that name for stripers before.

Was not aware of the Staton Kline's Homewrecker, but looks like we have found the origins of the "Gamechanger". Both are tied the same way over a series of articulated shanks. The Homewrecker uses just hooks joined with Tyger leader, whereas the Gamechanger uses those premade shanks from Fish Skull. Tie in a tail of something, palmer body material (typically premade dubbing brushes or the like), glue on eyes, trim to shape, color with sharpies, and go fishing. Neither are 12", however.

Have you tried a 2/0 clouser tied white/pink/olive? I think you'd be surprised how well it will work in the conditions you describe.

Don't have a pattern, just some suggestions. Never found Stripers to be that particular as far as patterns, even though I'll try anything and no trout in the waters (tidal) I fish anyway. You might try a version of Masahito Sato's Foam Head flies, (http://masassushionafly.com/store/#!/~/category/id=1417110&offset=0&sort=normal) up-sizing it to the 12" you want, or perhaps a Skok's Mega Mushy version in the appropriate size & colors. http://www.dwskok.com/MEGAMUSHYsteps.htm

Henry Cowen fishes for freshwater Stripers & ties a large baitfish pattern too, but his are not that big. http://www.henrycowenflyfishing.com/Henry_Cowen/flies.html

Take a look at Capt. Chris Newsomes website too. He ties some large flies, perhaps you'll get some ideas there. http://www.bayflyfishing.com/flytying.htm

I think I would try kanekalon fibers for such a big fly & add whatever flash you like to it.

You've got some good suggestions here but my confidence "big flies" are a Clouser Half and Half or just a big Deceiver.

I think Larry Dalhberg did a show on striper fishing in some of those rivers. It looked crazy!

Yeah...unfortunately your not gonna find a SBS for the Homewrecker....but at least it gives you an idea. It is a lot like the gamechanger but you can make the fly a lot bigger if you just use hooks and not the fish spines. Maybe just cut the hooks out of the center and use just the shanks for some segments. Then you can fish however many hooks you desire and get the length you want (12'') by just adding X number of shanks. Would take a while to tie but I bet it would work.