Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
terrymiller1973

Help with this fly

This is the first fly I have tied in a while any suggestions on how to improve it some will be greatly appreciated. It is the same fly different background with different lighting any suggestions for the photos would be great also

fly1_zps53750715.jpg

fly2_zps5146d90d.jpg

What would you like help with? Using the fly you have tied above as a basis try to describe what you want it to look like. If we know where you want to go with it we may be able to point you in the right direction.

As for the photography, well I've yet to find an easier set up than this.

Lighting_0002_zps7be719ac.jpg

That's what I use, just a piece of card hung from my tying lamp (daylight balanced). The best tip when using it is don't leave it there (with the lamp on) after taking your photos.

Without knowing how much you know about photography, or want to know. It is hard to offer much advice.

Cheers,

C.

Terry, that fly will catch fish! Doesn't need improvement, but there are adjustments you can do. It looks like a basic "flats" type style, which is how many flies tied for Bonefish, Permit or Redfish are tied. That could also be called a "Blonde" style bucktail with barbell eyes added.

A finer textured orange bucktail, or other hair is one adjustment, and you won't get the flared appearance. That can be a good feature sometimes however. When it flares like that it means it's hollow, so it could give the appearance of more with less, and that hollow hair can slow the sink rate a bit, which can be a positive sometimes.

The other is the position of the eyes. With them closer to the hook eye it will tend to nose dive & "jig" which again is not a bad thing sometimes, or you can move them back a little & the jigging motion will be less pronounced, and when in use will glide a bit more with each strip of line. I tie barbell type eyes anywhere from about 1/3 the way down the hook shank, to just behind the hook eye as you have it. I've even tied them closer to half way a few times & used double eyes, but that was not something I'll do often.

Of course, you can also adjust the size/weight of the eyes too to vary fall rates.

Personally, I like the dark background better for that fly!

I am sorry I was not trying to be vague about it with asking for help. I dont know what it should look like is all. I have yet to be able to try fly fishing so I dont know the effects of the different materials have on the fly (ie.. sparse, heavily dressed). I have read a lot and also watched tons of videos but not sure if they are close to something to catch fish or not. I always read or hear on the videos use about a pencil sized bunch or a bunch the size of a matchstick but what is that really. Are they talking about compressed that size or with it being relaxed. I appreciate all the information on the site and help that everyone always gives I am just not sure what I am looking for with things since I cannot really test them.

For the size of a bunch of hair it is usually the size it is when you are holding it in your thumb and first two fingers prior to tying in. If you are using hair from a flat piece of skin (not like buck tail). You can cut the skin into strips the width you want and always get the same sized bunch by cutting the same length along the strip.

Once wet the hair on the wing will not be flared as much as it appears now, so unless you are tying to catch anglers don't worry about it.

If you want to make sure the wing doesn't pull out you can lock it in place with a locking turn. Tie in your wing with a couple of turns, lift the butts and take one turn around them, but not around the shank, hard against the turns that tie the wing down. Then wrap over this turn around the hook shank. Trim out the butts and tie down. It is a way to get hair in really tight, and keep the head size small when you want a smaller head. This works for any hair that can be compressed, like buck tail. It doesn't work with hard hairs like squirrel tail. To test your hair lay a single hair on your bench and push down on it with the side of your bodkin. If the ends lift up off the bench this technique will make the wing more secure.

Cheers,

C.

Terry, I hope my post doesn't appear to be nit picky, that's not my intention. If you tie long enough you'll discover that materials such as bucktail have only subtle differences between the finer fibers & the courser as far as the fish care. There have been numerous posts about bucktail & it's intracacies. Mostly, it's a personal matter of how you like to tie your flies. For myself, I prefer to select the finest hair I can find, unless I'm tying large flies that need bulk. The white hair you used in the tail has the qualities I would seek for the orange portion as well. Subtle, but there is a difference. However, we do have to use what we have available sometimes!

Your proportions are excellent IMO, as far as the amount of hair you used, There is no right or wrong to it. For now, tie to suit yourself, and what you feel looks right to you.

Once you get the opportunity to start using some of the flies you've tied, you may find you'll want to tie with a specific purpose in mind, such as clear or stained water conditions. Then the amount of materials you decide to use may make a difference to how the fish react to the fly. In stained or muddied water, a fuller fly moves more water, making it easier for the fish to detect it, while in clear water a sparser fly suggests something alive, but doesn't give them a good look at it. There can be many reasons to tie a fly a particular way. Otherwise, just have fun with it & see what happens once you get on the water!

You're doing good IMO! wink.png