Fly Tying
Kudu

Hunters Harvest Swap

I'm in. Wish I could tell you I'm a hunter but haven't done much of that for years but have a bunch of local relatives that harvest. If that's okay with you I'll do something with squirrel, turkey, and bucktail. Not sure what yet but those are some of the things they hunt. I may just have to get out with one of them and harvest something myself since I have a lifetime hunt and fish license in OK. Maybe I can tie something with a fish scale...

I'm definitely in. I just ended my duck season due to injury. Crap!!! It was a stellar year so far. Even had one banded duck so far this year. I really want to get out and try for a couple of geese before the end of the season.

Maybe a prince nymph with Canada Goose biots and a patridge collar?

I was also thinking somthing with turkey. I have a turkey tail nymph that works well for me.

Although I could do some classic Light Cahills in wet or dry. Have plenty of Woodies.

I do have some Moose mane that would make an interesting mosquito or the hocks that I'd like to try a caddis with.

Not sure yet.

Nate how is your duck season going thus far? Do I remember correctly you have a newer dog this year?

Michael

OK playing at the vice tonight, decided my materials will be Red deer Cervus elaphus scoticus, Fox Vulpes vulpes, and Peacock.

Ok so I didn't shoot the peacock but they are a swine to wrestlebiggrin.png and the plucked variety seem a lot less brittle than the shop bought ones.

Tying a variation of a sweet little emerger/dry fly I use.

Guys,

Unless there is an objection, I will let Flyunder, Hokkaido, and vicrider join the swap. This will put us at 18 plus myself. I know this is a lot and if we need to extend the deadline that is not a problem. Also, I had a pm from one of the international swappers about putting some materials in with your flies so that people may get some stuff to tie with that is out of the norm for them. I will leave that issue up to each participant and not make it mandatory. I wish everyone a safe and successful hunting season. Deer season starts here next week. I passed on whitetails last year as I had gotten a big mule deer out west in October and didn't want to shoot anything small or a doe. I didn't go back out west this year so the whitetails may not have a pass this year.

I leave everyone with a thought (I heard this in Michigan this year from an old timer during my grouse hunting tip) "You can't eat the horns!" My thought in response, No, but they sure do look pretty on the wall.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

Vicrider is on the list twice so I think it's 17... But 18 or 17 is fine with me I just have to figure out what to tie... I like the idea of the material swap but sharp-tail season is over now and I don't have 18 skins to send out... Maybe just cut small pieces out? Or maybe ask who is actually interested?

Well it was myself who suggested the material exchange but it would be down to Kudu to just pass stuff around as return postage, especially for international swappers would cause him a problem if he tried to send bulky items. I really just had an idea that a sample of stuff others may not see much, or at all would be a cool addition to the swap.

Vicrider is on the list twice so I think it's 17... But 18 or 17 is fine with me I just have to figure out what to tie... I like the idea of the material swap but sharp-tail season is over now and I don't have 18 skins to send out... Maybe just cut small pieces out? Or maybe ask who is actually interested?

Yeah, think what happened was being included from the first posting but then when I acknowledged I'd like in in this post I got doubled. It's a lot of flies but if the same pattern gets laid and materials all set up they can go pretty fast, unless someone really gets fancy. What's really cool about being in there twice is that I only have to tie ONE more fly, but when they're sent out I get a full extra set. rolleyes.gif biggrin.png Okay, I guess that's not fair so I'll just settle for being in there once. Hunting season is just getting going here so I'll have to start thinking of materials and uses of them.

17, 18...whatever you decide. I will send a material and something extra for Kudu's work.

I had a pm from one of the international swappers about putting some materials in with your flies so that people may get some stuff to tie with that is out of the norm for them

There are some severe penalties for exporting wild game materials. One of our members got in a great deal of trouble when he tried to send the "Mystery Box" to Canada. While it might get past the inspectors, it is not worth the chance for the SM to do it.

Well guys it looks like it is all set. 17 flies and you will not get one of yours back. We will scrap the materials for now and just send flies I don't want myself or anyone else to get into trouble except for LP ID 66 Ill still take 17 Sharpie skins (just kidding).

I leave everyone with a thought (I heard this in Michigan this year from an old timer during my grouse hunting tip) "You can't eat the horns!" My thought in response, No, but they sure do look pretty on the wall.

Be Safe and Have Fun!

no matter how much you boil them horns they never taste as good as a tenderloin from a doe :lol:

Sorry Kudu, 15 is a big swap in my opinion, but 17-18 is too big, especially when it is expanded after we have all signed up. Count me out.