Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy

Anyone ever used Angelina?

Yarn was used in fly bodys long before some of you were born, I know i was there... lol

great stuff for sure, use it a lot of steelhead patterns.

Can anyone tell me a store that might be in Kansas that would have that? We have Hobby Lobby.

Vaguely remember a previous discussion about this stuff a few years ago on one of the boards. Is it essentially the same stuff as Angel Hair or is it more like Ice Dub (which is what people we looking for at the time)?

Postscript: Ah, should have just looked a bit more, here's the thread I was thinking of: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?18835-Polaris-Ice-Dub-Angelina-Arizona&highlight=angelina

Here is a better look at how it ties. I like it . My wife has about six colors. I spun some with a little coyote too.

post-3361-0-15846400-1383623589_thumb.jpg

post-3361-0-88141000-1383623594_thumb.jpg

Check eBay and Etsy. If you're paying more than $6 for a full ounce, (that's a LOT of material) you're not looking hard enough. There are two types: straight and crimped - make sure you know what you're getting beforehand. Angelina fibers also occasionally can be found in 4+" lengths. It's great stuff, and costs a fraction of what you'd pay in a fly shop for similar products.

My effrots to locate Angelina have come a cropper so far.

I looked into the on-line Soft Expressions stock of Angelina. They have interesting colors but they have two types -- the one that melts and the standard ("stock") fibers but very few of the stock fibers in the most interesting colors. The melt type fibers are sticky and thus would not make very mobile wings etc..

The local Hobby Lobby never heard of Angelina.

Suggestions?

Rocco