Fly Tying
ArkieFlyGuy

Fund raising ideas for fly clubs

Our club, NortEast Arkansas Fly Fishers, is looking for some different ideas to raise money for our various outreach programs. We are currently involved in several projects including Casting for Recovery, Hooked on Fishing not Drugs, programs for schools, Boy Scouts, and others.

We have our main two auctions during the year, and a flybox drawing at each meeting, but those are more for the club funds, not especially designated for outreach (although some of it does go for that.)

I'm wondering if any of you have any unusual or special ways to raise money for something like sponsoring someone for CFR. dunno.gif As a board member or NEAFF, I would like to suggest some new ideas at our board meeting. Any help is greatly appreciated. help.gif thumbup.gif

You know, outside the normal civic clubs like Lions, Rotary, etc. I don't know of an organization that is as generous and outreaching as the fly clubs that I'm familar with. Are we fly fishermen just that good or what?..... bait.gif

Thanks.....

My TU chapter, Cache Anglers, is currently holding an 8 week, active participation tying class. It's called Tying with the Experts. For a $40 fee, up to 20 students can participate, with most materials provided by the guest tyer and/or the person hosting the tyer of the week.

Featured tyers are locally or regionally known tyers. For example, our first class was hosted by myself and my sweetie. Our featured tyer was Lance Egan (2003 & 2004 ESPN outdoor games FF gold medalist, and Flyfishing Team USA member). Lance works at a local fly shop, so what Stef & I didn't have, or what Lance didn't have in bulk, he acquired at wholesale for us. Came to less than $50 including hooks & tungsten beads, and the unused materials were donated to our kids tying program.

In addition to the classes, we have scheduled 2 dinners with a featured expert that are open to the general public. Our first one will feature Bruce Staples. Before dinner Bruce will sign his books, and after dinner he will be giving a presentation on fishing the small waters of Yellowstone.

In addition to the classes and dinners, we are shooting video of the tyers, and a DVD will be sold for a minimal cost (like $10). That's pretty cheap for video of 8 different tyers doing 4 or 5 great patterns each.

In order for the program to work, you really need a good volunteer effort for hosting, arranging the dinners and shooting & producing the DVD's. You'll also need a free location. We're using a local High School cafeteria, and the program was advertised in the local papers and community education catalog.

So far, with class registration alone, we've raised $800. The dinner will be offered at $15, with $5 going to the chapter, and we have room for 200 plates. The DVD...who knows? With only the cost of the discs & sleeves or jewel cases, at $10 I think we could sell 100 copies over a year at the various other chapter activities, and maybe at our local shops as well.

Thanks to all for the advice so far and I'm taking notes on them.

NightFish,

I'd be interested in one of those DVDs when they are available for two reasons.... to show the club that idea.... and.... selfishly.... to pick up some tips.... wink.gif

Let me know when and where to get one.

Some of the local clubs I have been in over the years have run a few fund-raisers. We tied flies and mounted them inside clear glass Christmas tree ornaments and also (as in the recent swap) tied flies on safety pins. We take advantage of the craft shows that usually roll around every fall, but you need to join in with another seller or two to split the overhead costs (table or booth rental). As noted, the raffles work well. We have also set up a tying demonstration table in a high foot-traffic area (entrance to a store) with a donations bucket and signs to denote the cause for which you are raising money. If you do the public demonstration, be sure you have some of your best “talkers” alongside your best tyers.

If you have any members who are guides or resort owners down there, an auction for a days guided float or accomidations for a weekend might go a long ways if you can swing it.

Our club does a few thing things to raise funds for things like stocking the library, rebuilding local lakes, and other club activities. The best is of course to get a bunch of free stuff for auctions and raffles. We also offer tying classes to the general public, casting lessons in the spring, and have a 50/50 at each meeting. Just last week, we had Phil Rowley, and Brian Chan put on a chironomid / still water seminar. 50.00 per ticket for the 2 day event and around 100 people attended. The year before, Jack Dennis was invited to do a weekend seminar. All these little things help out.

We're trying something for the first time at our annual banquet this year. We're calling it the Jar of Flies. We're not sure how it's going to work out yet as it's our first time but the gist is to get a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of flies donated either a dozen at a time by various shops and companies but also by club members and tyers you know. Once all flies are obtained, someone has to count them all. We're using two people as a check and balance and once they are in the jar, the jar is sealed. At our banquet, we're going to sell guesses of the # of flies in the jar for a $1 apiece. All proceeds go to the club and the closest without going over wins the jar and all it's contents. It's conceivable there may be a tie and we're planning on choosing one of the kinds of flies, like Brown Drakes, to choose the # of. Just an idea.

Also at the banquet, we do what we call a "Bag of Bucks." We usually get some kind of wader bag or chest pack or something. A designated person goes around during cocktail hour and between dinner and the auction asking people to "lighten their load." In other words, "might you have any spare change in your pocket you'd like to put in the bag?" If they pull something green, that's even better. The key is that nobody knows how much money was collected by the end of the night. The bag and it's contents are then put into the live auction. The winner gets the bag and it's contents. Usually, the crowd can egg the winner on to just donate the monetary contents to the club.

Just a couple ideas.

Brinx

We have in-house raffles of donated flies and raffles or auctions of donated books. However our major fundraiser is the Fly Tying Symposium. See the brochure at Winter Hatches. It takes a lot of work, but is a great event for getting the community together.

Arkie,

Let me know how your fund raising turns out. As banquet chair for my club, I'm always looking for new and creative ways to raise some more funds.

Thanks,

Brinx

Download all the patterns and step by step tying instructions you can find onto a disk, or disk set and auction it off with a high but reasonable bid.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.