Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Wet Fly Swap

Atx, mine went in the mail this morning. I wiped out two sets of duck quills trying to wing the little wets but my fingers are so torn up from work that it just wasn't happening. I settled on winging them with wood duck breast feathers so I hope everybody don't hate them. I have sanded my fingers and used lotion but the sharp edges on the steel at work and the cold weather has them in terrible shape. There is a few extras on a foam strip for you and thanks for hosting.

Take Care,

Tony

ps. I don't have a name for the wets so I will leave that up to you or one of the other swappers...

Nice looking fly flytire, Look forward to seeing them netabrookie, and thanks for the extras. Netabrookie- i test drove 1 of those CDC Pheasant Tail today that i submitted for your swap- worked great this morning 4 species and 4 rainbows so far

netabrookie, years ago when I worked for a living my hands were a mess also and even tying mono was trouble. Then when I went to a desk job and now retired my hands can be kept baby soft and keeping hangnails trimmed and all nails short except thumb nails long for pushing around material it makes it a lot easier to tie without thread and material snagging and sticking.

I hope the wings go okay for this swap but no guarantees. Even with baby soft hands wings are still a tough learning process. And netabrookie, I like wood duck for a lot of uses. Just can't get enough of it.

I have sanded my fingers and used lotion but the sharp edges on the steel at work and the cold weather has them in terrible shape. There is a few extras on a foam strip for you and thanks for hosting.

Take Care,

Tony

Tony, the best trick I have found for rough hands. Before you sit down to tie, put a bit of vegetable oil (I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil) in the palm of your hand and add enough salt to make a thick paste. Now scrub your hands thoroughly for a minute. Get it all around your finger tips, nail beds, etc. Now wash with soap and warm water. Your good to go with baby bum smooth hands

Thanks for the tips for the rough hands fellows. I got out of the auto body work and now wire utility trailers for ten hours a day. The steel has a lot of sharp edges and the conduit has burrs that shred your fingers. The cuts aren't very deep but they are all over my fingers. The welders are supposed to de-burr the conduit but they usually don't and I have to be very careful or I will slice the insulation off the wires. The little cuts on my fingers grab and mess up the tying materials and fray my thread a lot. I can usually sand and lotion them but they have been in bad shape for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes I miss the body work because I could wet sand a car and have hands smoother than any baby's bottom. I got out of auto restoration and body work because I got tired of being around all the dust and chemicals but at least I had smooth hand then...

I feel your pain netabrookie. I'm in construction. I don't know if its possible for you but wearing gloves like mechanic gloves or really any gloves helps a lot. Also good soap with lotion in it and use it everytime you wash your hands. I will have to try the oil and salt thing.

Sorry I didn't get back, my midge pattern is a wet fly but that is ok maybe next time, just got back home from fishing in missouri. The pattern as productive