Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Beadheads#1

CDC?

Been tying for a few months and learning daily. The only place I get stumped and don't think I'm learning fast enough is the materials (names, what part of animal, what's natural and what's not etc....) For instance, what is CDC? Are there any links that may be helpful in understanding the materials and where they come from, used for etc.

CDC is the Southbound end of a northbound duck. The feathers are located around the preening gland making them saturated with floating oil, Natural fly floatant so to speak. The wispy feathers have a natural air-trapping quality which takes bubbles ubder water on sinking patterns. They are used on many dries instead of hackles, emergers, and caddis patterns. Also wrapped, twisted and used as bosies of smaller dries instead of dubbing. They are great as a deer hair substitute on comparaduns and great for nymph legs because of the motion.,

It is great stuff for dries. I just started using it last year and when using dry flies I rarely used anything else other than CDC patterns. Search CDC on this web site and you will find a lot of information.

Just tried the search but you need more than 4 characters so search "cul de canard"

There are grades of CDC as well, tufts vs. actual feathers. Make sure that you have the appropriate grade for what you will be tying.

Calvin