Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lance Kekel

Whiting Bugger packs

I'm sure most of you that tie lots of wooly buggers and the like have seen the Whiting Farms "bugger packs" hanging there along with the Chinese strung hackle and thought obut them, then looked at the $9.50 price tag vs. the $3.50 for the strung hackle and said you've got to be kidding and spent the $3 and change for the strung. I was the same way.

At this point I can say with a clear conscience that the bugger packs are an expense that actually works itself out. With strung hackle there is ALWAYS a certain amount of waste, feathers that are either to short, WAY to wide or too steel of a taper and in the long run you end up throwing about 20 percent away. I started buying the bugger packs in a couple colors last year to see how they stack up and they are excellent! I have had ZERO waste so far and I get about 230-250 flies or so out of an average pack. The last pack I counted had 242 feathers in it.

They seem a little more expensive but they're worth it!

Good material will save you a lot of aggravation as well.

Great post for beginning tiers. thumbup.gif

Great post for beginning tiers.

Being a beginning tyer, alot of the things I've read say to use low cost/quality material till you get the hang of it, but I think it is a lot easier to learn when the material cooperates han when you have to fight it all the time

Are the bugger packs made strictly for one size? or can you tie a variety of sizes with the same pack?

Ive seen them but never really looked at them.

I also like the bugger packs, I use them for kicker legs on my poppers too. The quality of the hackles and the ease of use makes them well worth the money.

I checked the bugger pack at my local fly shop and found out that they are on clearance at 50% off retail. I hope Whiting is not phasing them out.

Sign in to follow this