Fly Tying
Simplejack

Post your Woolly Buggers and woolly worms

Here are two more "Buggers;" I always love experimenting with new combinations!

And since the Steelers won today...

TC

My favorite color combination - it seldom fails

Love the look of this bugger; is the body peacock, a peacock dubbing, or some chenille?

Thanks,

TC

It is a Cactus Chenille

Hello,

Ok, a lot of firsts here - at least it feels that way to me. I've been reading (....so much reading in the archives - I think my skin is 'whitened' from the staying indoors and all the reading!) a lot of the information contained in a couple of the arrears in this website. A 'wealth of information' does not do any justice to what is here, if hidden in past posts - but great to read through.

The 'first' is my responding to a recent post (I think this may be a first to a recent post), and certainly trying to post a picture of a couple of Wooly Buggers that I have. If the picture posts/loads correctly, they are Baker's Hole Buggers. Ok, the one on the right is, the one on the left is my interpretation of it. If the resolution of the picture is good enough ( I wont know until I try this), you should be able to see the quality difference. No doubt it doesn't make a 'hill of beans' difference to the fish, but... to some tiers (sometimes me!) it may.

I don't know if Craig Matthews tied the one on the right or if someone from his shop did but that is where I got it. I can't seem to locate the proper hackle for palmering through the ones I try to construct. Someone suggested to me I should call Matthews himself and I have not done so quite yet. Something to consider in the future.

I think this pattern looks so good in the water. When I first saw it I thought it was a little brown trout in the water. Oh, and my friend had a big brown trout's lips wrapped around it!

BCT

p.s. apologies if this picture didn't post or posted too large

It almost looks like they used a grizzly variant Schlappen.

Hi Montanacur, I agree that the palmered hackle on the original(on the right) is so webby that it looks like Schlappen. I believe for tying efficiency sake, the length of the palmering feather must be pretty long - if only one feather is used to palmer the fly. I really like the webby look the original has and I believe that gives the fly much 'life' in the water.

Schlappen that I have seen though has been much larger than the size hook those were tied on. The hook I used on my version was a Tiemco 200r - size 6 I think. I think the original tie msut have been close to this hook in size. So the Schlappen fiber length can't be too large on the original or they would stick out much past the hook point (and they generally do not on those that I purchased).

The search goes on for the perfect palmering soft - webby hackle for tying this fly. (I'll look more seriously at 'small' schlappen)

Thanks,

BGT

It's dark barred ginger variant from whitings that came in there bugger back, looks really good on lighter colored buggers. The marabou is wapsi sand colored grizzly.. The hooks are actually what I like most about those flys, they're tied on an umpqua competition jig hook, it's a really stout really sharp barbless hook, and I used tungsten slotted beads which are stupid expensive..

"Istripbuggers" lovin that last color combo! If I get a chance to sit down tonight and tie up some buggers like I'm planning ill post them up!

Miles, those are superb! wub.png

I'm a fan of olive too! Those look a bit dinky to me however for the fishing I like to do!

I would like something in a 1/0! rolleyes.gif

Well I have two tied to post... A white and a black elongated bead head with the center eye.... Now I just have to find my camera in this mess to take pics and post them