Fly Tying
ostfyn

Flies that made it to the movies.

Some flies got them selves a role in the movies. In "A river runs through" the "Bunyan Bug" is on the role list and in "Twin Peaks" the "Green butted skunk" is appearing.

If any of you can come up with more examples I will be grateful.

Ostfyn

There was a fly mentioned by John Candy in "Who's Harry Crumb", but I don't recall what that fly was! Barry Corbin, who played PJ Downing was tying flies & Harry Crumb asked about the fly pattern he was tying, calling it by name. Wish I could recall & I did a search & could not come up with any mention of it.

There was a mention of a wooly bugger in M*A*S*H being fished by the Colonel. I can't remember now if it was the movie or the TV version.

Tidewater, it was a marabou muddler. I just went back and watched that scene, one of my favorite movies. Stupid yet awesome, reminds me of junior high. He was tying on a Regal Medallion

There was a mention of a wooly bugger in M*A*S*H being fished by the Colonel. I can't remember now if it was the movie or the TV version.

Nice! Don't think the fly had been invented/named during Korea though. Love MASH :)

Tidewater, it was a marabou muddler. I just went back and watched that scene, one of my favorite movies. Stupid yet awesome, reminds me of junior high. He was tying on a Regal Medallion.

Well, thank you for checking that out! One of my favorite movies too! John Candy was a funny guy!

In Anatomy of a Murder (1959), Jimmy Stewart plays a lawyer and works on tying flies, in hand, during breaks in the trial. I believe he gives one to the judge. It's been awhile since I've seen it. So my memory of the details could be off.

The movie is based on the book by John Voelker AKA Robert Traver, who also wrote a number of works on fly fishing.

Yes, it was Henry tying it. I've got the series on dvd. I'll have to check it out and see. Oh, it was the tv show.

One of the mummy movies with Branden, Brendon or how ever you spell it Frasier has a scene where he has his "how to fly fish" book with him while he is out on the water. I think he hooks himself in the jaw with a fly, but I don't know what fly it was.

Thank you every body - My idea is to tie up some flies for framing and i believe that this could be fun. I hope that it ends up with a dozen of patterns ore so.

Graham Owens had some realistic houseflies in a movie not too long ago..He is a very good tyer and was quite active on this site years back..he has a website Graham Owen flies i do believe.