Fly Tying

Hey Jacob

Collected some off mine from the weekend as well have you done this before? I was wondering if you need to do anything with the feathers once you got them, especially the really oilly ones... I love getting out with dog on good bird hunt.

Hey Jacob

Collected some off mine from the weekend as well have you done this before? I was wondering if you need to do anything with the feathers once you got them, especially the really oilly ones... I love getting out with dog on good bird hunt.

Hey, I do it with almost all the ducks I kill. Whenever you get feathers from birds you kill ALWAYS expect there to be fleas and or other bugs on them. What i do is microwave it for about 30 seconds give or take and then freeze it for a week or two and that kills anything. If you really want to be thorough take it out for a day and then refreeze it to make sure any eggs are killed. If you kill anything with a skin just use borax to dry it out and do the same process I guess. If you look at my profile picture you can see my duck dog!:) Thanks!

The more oily the better for dry flies. the blue wing slips with a wet tip make a great wing on wet flies.

I skin the bird, put borax on the skin and let cure till nice and dry. I keep the skins in a tub with a dogs flea collar in it to kill bugs. I then freeze them for a few days, thaw, and freeze again. Then pull them out and wash them out to remove dirt, oil, bug carcasses. Works for me!