Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
5wtwithorangebacking

seal substitute?

Simiseal is one product I've heard of. I use Euro-Seal that I got from Fly Shack. It comes in at least 12 colors and I like it.

I love seals fur, but i think semi seal is good lots of color choices. Its what i usually see as an alternative too. I thought i heard Davie Whootinhamer (?) SLF maybe? I am not sure.

I use this from J.Fair:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/images/dubbing/sealsub.jpg

Denny Rickards uses this material for his Seal Bugger pattern...

It may be ordered from here:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/shopable/sealdub.htm

and Bob Marriott's carries it as well

PT/TB

Angora goat is a good substitute. Living in Canada I have access to seal which is fairly cheap at around $2-3 for a packet, that being said I can get a packet of angora goat 3-4X the amount for $1.79. I usually use it to bulk out and make buggy custom dub blends.

STS trilobal, Angora goat/Jay Fair's Seal Sub, Arizona Semi Seal all work fine. Seal is traditional on some patterns but not readily available enough in the US to be practical for fishing flies in my mind.

Yeah, the "animal rights" people put the kbosh on killing innocent baby harp seals, so seal fur is very hard to find, not to mention "politically incorrect" to use. Polar bear and grey heron are two more traditional materials that are protected for largely sentimental reasons (neither species is actually endangered, but may not be as abundant in parts of it's traditional range as it once was.)

"just use seal dubbing. its still available"

​It may be available but... Digest of Federal Resource Laws of Interest to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Fur Seal Act of 1966

Fur Seal Act of 1966 (16 U.S.C. 1151-1187, P.L. 89-702, November 2, 1966, 80 Stat. 1091) as amended by P.L. 98-129, October 14, 1983, (97 Stat. 835) and P.L. 100-711, November 23, 1988 (102 Stat. 4772).

This 1966 statute prohibited, except under specified conditions, the taking, including transportation, importing or possession, of fur seals and sea otters. Exceptions are authorized for Indians, Aleuts, and Eskimos who dwell on the coasts of the North Pacific Ocean, who are permitted to take fur seals and dispose of their skins. The statute also authorized the Secretary of Interior to conduct scientific research on the fur seal resources of the North Pacific Ocean.

Title II of this statute provided for the Secretary of Interior to continue to administer the Pribilof Islands as a special reservation for the purpose of conserving, managing, and protecting the North Pacific fur seal and other wildlife, and to provide the Pribilof Island natives with facilities, services, and equipment.

With respect to sea otters, the Secretary of Interior was authorized to sell sea otter skins and products forfeited to, or seized by the U.S. Proceeds are to be deposited in the Pribilof Islands Fund.

Title IV of the statute stipulated related enforcement responsibilities and established a Pribilof Islands fund for the purpose of implementing related activities.

The functions authorized by these four titles were transferred from the Secretary of Interior to the Secretary of Commerce by the 1970 Reorganization Plan No. 4.

The Fur Seal Act Amendments of 1983 (P.L. 98-129) authorized the continued taking of fur seals and disposal of their skins by Indians, Aleuts and Eskimos, provided that the seals are taken for subsistence purposes as defined by the 1972 Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Title II of the amendments provided for continued administration of the islands' fur seal rookeries to protect fur seals and for the maintenance of the Pribilof Islands Trust. Title III amended related enforcement provisions.

The 1988 amendments (P.L. 100-711) authorized appropriations through FY 1990 to fund the Saint Paul Island Trust and the Saint George Trust

While Simi Seal is a great material, and I use it on many of my patterns, I really don't think it is a seal substitute due to the increased amounts of flash in the material. If you are truly trying to get a material that acts like seal, angora is probably your best bet. Angora is just slightly softer than seal, and has less sheen.

Frankly, I have seal (LOTS) and I really don't see why some people are hung up on using it so much when there are so many wonderful alternatives. Most of my seal dub sits in the bins while the other good stuff gets used up. Don't get me wrong, I think seal is a great material, but maybe not worth all the fuss.

Cheech