Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ryveradair

Fly Tying/ Fly Fishing notebook

I was just wondering if you guys keep like a notebook for fly tying and fly fishing. Do you write notes in it? what kind of stuff do you put in your notebook? Thanks a bunch

no, i have photographic memory! smile.png

which later morphed into DRS syndrome (Dont Remember Shit)

i tried to keep a fly fishing journal many many years ago but always forgot to write something in it. wasted more time than it was worth.

Same problem here. When I moved from home, and realized I could go fishing when ever I had the opportunity, I bought a journal to keep track of fishing and travels. I still have that journal, and has traveled with me through 12 years in the Marines, two marriages and multiple States.

Maybe I'll start writing in it tomorrow.

I kept a well informed journal when numbers and size mattered, now I'm just glad to be out so only keep a note of tide height and wind direction as being unable to access places without chest waders isn't funny if you only took wellies.

I keep a journal of my fishing outings ,both fly fishing and otherwise, in and excel spread sheet. Just put various parameters at the top and fill them out after every outing and eventually this becomes a large chart at the end of the year which is easily viewed. I like excel because any of the chart parameters which involve numbers are easily calculated and there is room for unlimited data which can be easily viewed at once and not lost in the field. I do however keep a small Rite in the Rain notebook with me out in the field for short notes.

I have never kept a fishing journal, but I do have some 3-ring binders in the tying room. One binder for patterns, one for misc. (like tying methods, reference material, etc.), and one specifically for soft hackle articles/patterns. If I run across a good article in a magazine, it gets copied and put in the appropriate binder.

regarding fly tying information

i keep a lot of fly tying info on a separate external hard drive and i have a ton of bookmarks. writing all this down in a binder isnt for me. i used to save things on a 5x7 index cards but that was when dinosaurs were still alive.smile.png

saving on a computer save a lot of time

i do not inventory tying materials. i dont wanna know how much crap i have that hasnt been used since the 80's.

i have to keep myself out of online fly shops and learn to use up what i have BEFORE buying more stuff

I'm worried that my wife has hijacked Flytires log in. I'm hearing that last sentence even in my sleep just recently.

I have a small note book on the tying bench to write new patterns/colour combinations of flies because I have a brain like a seive. I will write other stuff like dye mixes, etc. For fishing I have a blog, which also has my flies patterns on (the ones that work!).

I only write down future tying needs -- like noting when I run out of a staple material or pattern; recording a new idea,<br />technique, or miracle material etc that I do not want to forget. Then I forget where I put the notebook.<br /><br />Rocco

I bought a book called fly fishing my journal it is produced by journals unlimited they are located in Bay City MI I can't wait to write in it since I bought the book I haven't had the chance to fish maybe next spring will get my journal started as for fly tying I use a little program called Fly Free to log new patterns

regarding fly tying information

i keep a lot of fly tying info on a separate external hard drive and i have a ton of bookmarks. writing all this down in a binder isnt for me. i used to save things on a 5x7 index cards but that was when dinosaurs were still alive.smile.png

saving on a computer save a lot of time

i do not inventory tying materials. i dont wanna know how much crap i have that hasnt been used since the 80's.

i have to keep myself out of online fly shops and learn to use up what i have BEFORE buying more stuff

Amen, I with you on these

carlp5351