Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

Your favorite Realistic fly?

I saw a mosquito featured in Fly Tyer magazine a few months back that was awesome. I have spent a fair amount of time chasing malaria (...and mosquitoes) around SE Asia, so the fly has more nostalgic value than fishing-catching power for me. I have tried to tie a replicate a time or two, but thus far my mosquitoes looks like a cockroaches. laugh.gif

Insects, to me are the most challenging. Most other flies are silhouettes with contrasting colours. I think we will be amazed at the patterns that all the talented members will submit. I think this is very cool. headbang.gif

I personally love realistic stone fly nymphs. There is just nothing like them in my eyes. I am sure that in time we will have some pretty neat patterns added to this new forum.

I was thinking about posting a close up of an insect every month or so, and having members come up with realistic versions of it. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about posting a close up of an insect every month or so, and having members come up with realistic versions of it. What do you guys think?

Lets give it a try!

BFR

I got really excited when I saw a realistic spider in fly tyer (past couple months). Not that I think it would produce much where I fish, it was very realistic.

One thing I have noticed about realistic flies is that the majority of them seem to be colored with marker. I was hesitant to get into tying realistic because I felt that drawing the pattern on to stretched foam strips or mounds of thread took away from the using natural animal parts to creat a fly. But if there are lots of techniques using animial hair and such Im all over it.

Feed me knowledge

Tightlines

The Mosquito in Fly Tyer was Bob Mead's I think, and one of the origionals of the realistic ties. He is the creator of the Praying Mantis and Walking stick. Do a search on the web to see his stuff, it's incredible. I have dabbled for the past two years on realistics but I tend to lean on the side of fishable stuff, more like the Oliver Edwards/Steve Thornton type flies. Eventually I will probably tie something that takes more than twenty minutes. I have a box which holds my realistics labelled, "For Emergency Use Only" and has bailed me out many days on the water.

Yes I use alot of markers, the best being Edding, They are designed to write on glass, but I don't really see any difference in using a treated turkey feather for the back or a colored piece of latex derivative. But that's just my personal opinion.

Right now, nymphs are my bread and butters but they are everyone elses too. Everyone ties a stone, here's a pic of mine attached. I'd definately like to learn more.

Hope to talk soon, OK have to make the pic size smaller will try tonight when I get home

Shaq

I don't tie the realistic ones but love looking at them and appreciating them. I like the nymphs with the crymped legs and translucent bodies, those are especially cool.

I agree with Shaq, Oliver Edwards is the man. Get the book Fly Tyers Masterclass, practice those techniques and copying insects will be much easier and more realistic. I like Pujic's idea of posting insect pics to try and replicate, sounds like fun. I'd start today but gotta finish a swap first.

Graham