Fly Tying

Looking for help on the prime forage fish in most of our local lakes and ponds. Trying to get the right color combo's and layers. Attached is a picture from a fisheries biologist but this is a pretty large size compared to most of the real minnows I have observed. Would enjoying seeing some pictures or recipes. I have experimented but I am not satisfied with results thus far. Many thanks

FatheadMinnow.jpg

Guest rich mc

check out the polar express fly by thebigrflysshop or the somethin' else fly by henry cowan. also my Shannon streamer where you can do a few more wraps around the head for a fatter profile rich mc

Here's what I came up with after realizing that bucket upon bucket of leftover Fathead minnows has been dumped into local lakes. This ain't the greatest pic (I just took a quick one when I saw this post; better shots to come) but it shows the basic streamer. I have had great succes with this from day one and am really pleased with it.

I'm tying some for a baitfish swap... I used to tie them with black noses only, but fish tend to not like the Fathead males in spawning condition (which is when they get the black head and pimple- hey...blackhead and pimples! After all these years I JUST noticed that combination, lol!), so knowing that females can briefly get a blush of reddish-orange when spawning, plus orange rocks as an attractor color anyway (line breeding of the reddest specimens is how the 'Rosy Red' was created), I went with white thread and orange belly.

post-63-0-10282900-1385235555_thumb.jpg

Several years ago, FAOL's fly of the week was the Super Silver Minnow. I think it would work too. Just go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/panfish/part143.php

I've used this pattern successfully for bass and rock bass

Like it, can see why it works on the sunfish family and very adaptable to my requisites.

check out the polar express fly by thebigrflysshop or the somethin' else fly by henry cowan. also my Shannon streamer where you can do a few more wraps around the head for a fatter profile rich mc

both great suggestions and checked these out and both will find the their way to my vice, although I might need to add a couple more packages of material to inventory in the man-cave. I won't tell my trophy wife of 35 years if you don't. Thanks

Here's what I came up with after realizing that bucket upon bucket of leftover Fathead minnows has been dumped into local lakes. This ain't the greatest pic (I just took a quick one when I saw this post; better shots to come) but it shows the basic streamer. I have had great succes with this from day one and am really pleased with it.

I'm tying some for a baitfish swap... I used to tie them with black noses only, but fish tend to not like the Fathead males in spawning condition (which is when they get the black head and pimple- hey...blackhead and pimples! After all these years I JUST noticed that combination, lol!), so knowing that females can briefly get a blush of reddish-orange when spawning, plus orange rocks as an attractor color anyway (line breeding of the reddest specimens is how the 'Rosy Red' was created), I went with white thread and orange belly.

attachicon.gifPB230006.JPG

I think I will try this one today. I like the slim profile. I think I have all the ingredients. Thanks for your insights.

We need to stock up on Fathead imitations around here (Buffalo, Wyoming) as Wyoming Game and Fish has declared that this species is the only one allowed to be sold by commercial bait dealers. We have many live bait restrictions and most are good for the fisheries but I am not sure why the golden shiners are no longer favored and did not want to debate it with the guy who was kind enough to get me the picture of the Fathead. Mucho gracias

• Thanks to all, I will post some of my work on these in a couple of weeks. FYI, I also found a good sample or two in the FFF, Fly Pattern Encyclopedia, although there is some confusion and mix-up with the photo and recipe on page 104. Very nice, simple example on page 100 however, so off the computer soon and back to the vice, uh I mean vise.

Borrowed some elements from everybody's suggestions. Here is my first try. If it is a keeper I will solicit a name and upload with a s-b-s.

Thanks to all respondents for a team effort.

photo.synthesis.FHead1124-13.JPG