Fly Tying

Borrowed some elements from everybody's suggestions. Here is my first try. If it is a keeper I will solicit a name and upload with a s-b-s.

Thanks to all respondents for a team effort.

I like it!

Here's what I came up with after realizing that bucket upon bucket of leftover Fathead minnows has been dumped into local lakes. This ain't the greatest pic (I just took a quick one when I saw this post; better shots to come) but it shows the basic streamer. I have had great succes with this from day one and am really pleased with it.

I'm tying some for a baitfish swap... I used to tie them with black noses only, but fish tend to not like the Fathead males in spawning condition (which is when they get the black head and pimple- hey...blackhead and pimples! After all these years I JUST noticed that combination, lol!), so knowing that females can briefly get a blush of reddish-orange when spawning, plus orange rocks as an attractor color anyway (line breeding of the reddest specimens is how the 'Rosy Red' was created), I went with white thread and orange belly.

attachicon.gifPB230006.JPG

I was just surfing through a couple of my favorite minnow pictures and realized that this, tied with white nose or with black, can also stand in for a black nosed dace, a few other dace, a few different chubs, and some minnows. I'm gonna clean up the tying and stick with this one for a while to stretch it's possibilities. Y'all have seen this page I'm sure, but for those who haven't;

http://web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/cyprinidae.html

I was looking at the picture of the minnow and it reminded me of another bait fish. We tend to separate fresh water flies and salt water flies into separate categories. Being economical, or maybe lazy, I tend to tie my bait fish patterns so that I can use them in either salt or fresh water. Silverside and Bay Anchovies patterns make excellent minnow patterns. Peanut Bunker flies make do as shad patterns. Take a look at Finger Mullet patterns. They're similar in shape and coloring to the Fathead. Might have to downsize them a bit.

I asked the same question here or on another board....eventually found this and I really like it.

I've tied some of these. I love how they look. They just haven't produced for me as I'd hoped. Have you had any luck on them?

FG and Mike

I have ties that fly. I like how it looks but it has caught me but not so much on the fish!

I've tied some very similar in the past that used a trimmed hackle for the body like these and they worked well but I haven't fished this particular pattern

I asked the same question here or on another board....eventually found this and I really like it.

Mike, are you familiar with the coloration for Fatheads that are local to the Dallas, TX area waters? I have come up with a pattern that looks and works well on the NE Wyoming panfish and trout. It has a major purple look to it as shown in the fish biologist's photo.

I am curious about the Texas FHead popular colors as I am tying a dozen for a P H W fundraiser in Dallas area..

Do you think these will work out, down there?

IMG_1610.JPG

Mike, are you familiar with the coloration for Fatheads that are local to the Dallas, TX area waters? I have come up with a pattern that looks and works well on the NE Wyoming panfish and trout. It has a major purple look to it as shown in the fish biologist's photo.

I am curious about the Texas FHead popular colors as I am tying a dozen for a P H W fundraiser in Dallas area..

Do you think these will work out, down there?

attachicon.gifIMG_1610.JPG

Here is a dozen tied for donation to Dallas P HW fundraising.... The mini-zonkers and marabou are fairly translucent on the wings and tails.... Do they sell these Fathead species in live bait shops?

IMG_1637.JPG

Those are pretty sweet FRN, I bet they'd work out here on our trout.

Some of our local trout have preyed upon a few of these, and VISE Versa