Fly Tying
Simplejack

Hungarian partridge substitute?

If I only had one its a male. But look at two pics flytire posted in this thread and both sexes have good markings.

Tried the pigeon when I knowcked one off the barn, not the worlds best feathers but the ones with the green shine to them make some great cheeks on salmon flies, didn't like the way the worked for soft hackle though

the markings/feathers on the photos i posted are so similar that the subtle differences would be irrelevant on which one to use. at least for me.

if i was blindfolded and had to choose one, i would have no idea which one was what.

the markings/feathers on the photos i posted are so similar that the subtle differences would be irrelevant on which one to use. at least for me.

if i was blindfolded and had to choose one, i would have no idea which one was what.

I disagree. The photos showed the typical differences very well, lighter color, especially around the neck and shoulder area. Blindfolded? Hell I'd be lucky to tell a pigeon from a heron.

Hi Simplejack,

You've already gotten good answers and instruction (youtube videos) on how to spin the larger fibers around the hook to make smaller hackle. An inexpensive source of larger soft-hackle fibers is feather boa's available at many craft stores. We got a really nicely marked one from Hobby Lobby the other day; it had many feathers that were mottled similar partridge. The price for a couple of lifetime supplies was less than $10.00. Also, a tan boa and a black felt-tip marker can make some really good looking partridge substitute hackle. Take care & ...