Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hopperfisher

small thread opinions

Whichever thread that YOU will be comfortable with

My preference is veevus threads. Probably the strongest of them all

I recently have began using Veevus thread and I like it (I really like it), but I like Danville, Uni, and Benecchi threads too.

post-4070-0-21443800-1385230163_thumb.jpg

Griffiths shear, benecchi and hends synton all suit me but you do need to find thread that suits your style and needs.

example if you like split thread dubbing loops, a single strand waxed thread might not be your first choice

I use Veevus 14/0 and love it. Have tried some others and they have been fine too. Not sure if I use Veevus because I am comfortable with it or I am comfortable with it because it is what I use :)

Danville Spiderweb: I bought spools of this when I got into Klinkhåmers and tying parachutes off the post. Since it's basically nylon monofilament, it retains its round cross section while tying. Other than its small size, the only benefit I found in it is it doesn't fray. Be cautious when whip finishing or use another method to tie off; even the slightest bit of heat generated when closing the knot weakens the already wimpy thread without warning. I wouldn't rely on this thread holding a half hitch or whip finish without a dab of CA glue or cement.

Uni Trico: I don't know of (nor do I believe there is) another multifilament tying thread with a smaller profile than Uni 17/0. This thread lies so flat it seems to melt to the hook. It doesn't do well when handled with rough fingertips, and contact with the hook point can fray it. You also may need to give the bobbin a slight spin to control splaying of the individual filaments when tying on the shortest shanks. Since it's unwaxed, it's easy to reposition dubbing on the thread. Reasonably strong for its slight size. I like it much better than Spiderweb.

Uni Caenis: I don't tie the most diminutive patterns, so I've not had cause to buy this product. It's said to be a single strand nylon, so I'd expect it to perform similarly to a downsized version of Spiderweb (which I don't like).

Five dollars will get you a spool of each to determine how they work for you.

Got a spool of 20 den uni Caenis and can't stand it, can't even tie in hand without it breaking, bought it by accident when I thought it was 70 den (8/0)

I have some of the Uni-Caenis and Danville's spiderweb and if I had to choose between just the two I wouild pick the Uni-Caenis. The Uni-caenis is just 20 denier and the Spiderweb is 30 denier but I seem to break the Spiderweb a lot more. Plus the Uni is a 200 yard spool but the Danville in just 100 yards. I have been wanting to try the Veevus but I just haven't ordered any yet.

Many moons ago Hans W. showed me a tip for really small thread. The silly thing was I already used this for a non fly tying application, and hadn't thought to do it for tying.

Take a spool of GSP thread. Peel off 4 to 6 feet of it. Take the end of the thread and tap it so it frays apart. Using hackle pliers grab two of the fibres. Strip those two fibres out of the main thread. Wind them on to an empty spool. You now have the finest two strand thread. It is still very strong and not difficult to work with. The first length you strip out is harder to do than subsequent lengths. If 6' of thread isn't enough for a couple of flies you are either, using it on flies big enough to use larger thread, or using way too many turns of thread.

Cheers,

C.

I am doing tying demos at Bob Marriott's Fly Fishing Fair yesterday and today, on mostly small patterns I use for the Eastern Sierras. This is the thread I am using:

TIEMCO16-0THREAD-1-_zpse957107f.jpg

PT/TB

+1 for Veevus. I have a lot of 8/0 UNI, but since discovering Veevus, I'm buying that now and using it just as much. I like it that 12/0 Veevus is smaller than 8/0 UNI, but just as strong.

I don't like the veevus. Trying a 12/0 now and it feels line it breaks to easy. I like benichi 12/0 a lot better.

Uni trico 17/0 is really nice aswell!