Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LP ID 66

Polar Bear

I am just curious what is your favorite substitute for Polar Bear? I used some white black bear i like. I have heard others just wondering what you guys like.

LP ID 66, I don't mean to be a wise guy but your post gave me a good laugh... white black bear hair? I have black black bear hair and brownish black bear hair but I didn't know there was white black bears.

LP ID 66, I don't mean to be a wise guy but your post gave me a good laugh... white black bear hair? I have black black bear hair and brownish black bear hair but I didn't know there was white black bears.

Probably bleached.

Well, I have always heard people saying that you learn something new every day and NOW I have to agree with them. If one of my buddies had came up to me and said that they had just seen a white black bear before I read this I would have accused them of not being in their right mind...

You didn't ask if it had to be a natural substitute. I like Poly Bear as a synthetic sub for it. You can still get the real thing legal, but it's a little pricey. John Waite on the N. Umpqua, 1-800-347-4654. He doesn't have a website. He's been selling it for many years and has PB dubbing too.

Regards,

Mark

I think all polar bear in the states is really old... Unless you smuggled it from Canada, which really doesn't sound like a bad idea, J/K. but seriously i know some of you have done it... I might have to try some skunk tail. I know a trapper who gets them for their sent glands things i guess I wonder if he will skin me one. I will buy some goat as well. I ought to go clip some off the gun shops full body mount... to bad its in a glass case...

Funny i must be the only tyer who doesn't think polar bear is all that special, i have tried it and used it and was not impressed, found arctic fox mixed with a few strands of crystal flash had far more mobility and looked way better in the water. Maybe jaded as it is in every shop here on the wall.

Probably bleached.

My granddaughter is a wise guy.

We were talking about her fuzzy dog when she told me the following:

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear

Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair

Fuzzy wuzzy wasn't very fuzzy wuzzy

Was he?