Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LP ID 66

Polar Bear

I love cashmere goat, and regular goat as well. Cashmere is finer and softer than regular goat but both have great movement. I have heard people using yak as a substitute for PB as well. Skunk works nicely, just get a tail with a lot of white since some will be sparingly striped.

Check out Drew Chicone, he wrote a book called Feather Brain. He uses yak hair quite a bit and compares it faverably to polar bear for use in larger patterns (3.5"+).

I've tied several bait fish patterns with it and look forward to giving them a try when I'm able to get back on the water next summer. Will try to load a picture here in bit.

IMGP1056_zpsf80958e4.jpg

Hey Andy,

It has been a while hasn't it… I did not know that it is illegal to fish in the white house goldfish pond while wearing nothing more than women's panties and bra. Who knew?

Actually I've been well, thanks for asking. Neck and back issues kept me off the water just about all summer, got out once in early May and played tug of war with some nice jacks and pomp or two.

Will be getting three vertebra my neck fused next month and after that heals my lower back is next… If anyone needs a fly or 20 let me know, I have a slight surplus to say the least.

Hope to be around the site more often in the coming months, god knows i'll be around the house!

Damn Dave that's rough. But you knew the 300lb Korean ladies weren't good for you.

Seriously, are you likely to get back out with a fly rod or is it going to be spinning here on in?

Hey P, they were great fun at the time what with wesson oil and all….Hurray beer!blink.png

I can still cast, the problem is that my left side is weak and lacks the ability work for sustained periods (I,m left handed). The movement of the boat is what takes the biggest toll on my neck and back, I can't stand and fish for very long before I have to sit for a while. After a good day on the water I need a week or so to recouperate and a handfull of Percocet to kill the pain.

However, every cloud has a silver lining, I HAD to have the lightest gear possible to aid in recovery right… Enter a new NRX 8wt with 8/9 NV reel and a CC Pro 1 12wtbiggrin.png

All and all I should be all healed just in time for the summer rush with enough flies to feed the masses.

I've seen at least a couple of cream colored black bears here in Colorado while out and about but it is probably bleached if it's "white".

I lived in Alaska and flew into remote villages where it was legal for natives to hunt Polar Bear. They would gladly give you some if they like you. Just go up there and make friends with the natives. LOL... I did, but I had to act like I enjoyed eating blubber (swallow fast, pretend to chew, and smile). Polar bear is as close to white as you can get. There may be some dirty looking brown in spots or some stains but most is white. It is more hollow and glossier than brown/grizzly or black bear. Maybe because they swim a lot more than other bears and Charles Darwin's theory. There isn't another animal hair like it but I did find some synthetic that was quite close when ordering for my fly shop, but is not tapered to the tip. I'm not home now but when I get home, on the weekend, I'll try to find it and let you know. It is "Something Hair" in the polar bear color. It is the best you will find. I have seen several black bear with white patches but it is much different than polar bear. It is the sheen on polar bear that makes it so different than any other hair. The stiff under fur is also great to tie with and floats nicely. If you have friends in Canada you might get them to get you some. Easier than eating blubber.