Fly Tying
HammerCreek

Bead Head Soft hackle

A generic bead head soft hackle, but I'm a fan of the hare's ear dubbing with the pearl tinsel over top...

Bead Head Soft Hackle
Hook: 10-14 Wet
Tail: Hen Fibers
Rib: Pearl Tinsel
Body: Hare's Ear Dubbing
Hackle: Soft Hackle Hen
Thread: 8/0 Dark Brown

post-49121-0-10473600-1385431685_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of moving the Bead back slightly and changing the balance. I think it will make a difference both when the fly is sinking and on the retrieve. Tied a few with twisted strands of Krystal Flash for the rib, they look OK as well.

I like having the bead behind the hackle, instead of at the eye of the hook. This, to me. looks more like a fly and less like a lead head jig for spinning. Just my opinion. This is a very good looking fly and is going to be bookmarked.

Nice fly. Is there a rule of thumb out there regarding the length of the soft hackle on a fly like this?

on these flies (someone pls correct me if im wrong) i believe the hackle length is about the length of the hook shank

The hackle should reach just to the bend of the hook according to the early Catskill style of the fly. I love to fish the soft hackle flies - usually 1 point fly and 2 droppers. Nice job Hammercreek!!!