Fly Tying
hopperfisher

For all the Scots in the room

Hello,

First of all, I'm from the US (by birth, not choice). We all know that the US is rife with arrogance and no desire to undrstand other cultures. So I hope that the term "Scot" that I use in the title of this post is not offensive or derogatory (spelling?) in any way. If it is please correct me immediately!!!

Anyway, I digress, what do all of you from Scotland think about this whole independance from the UK thing? I've read several stories about it but none of them have entered any public opinion on the matter.

Again, I love this forum and the people on it and would hate for anyone anywhere to be offended.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Not sure how long this thread will last as the mods try their best to keep things free of political debate/discussions, it makes for a more friendly forum as a whole.

but in answer to your question, the independence white paper published today gives lots of political rainbows with pots of gold at the end but doesn't tell us how they intend to fight off the leprechauns. Making all Scots both domestic and non domicile state citizens has raised some eyebrows as they don't seem to be given a choice when their British passports expire.

Ireland was held up as an example of seperate success until the Celtic tiger died, now they look at Norway and Sweden as examples, but look how high their tax is. $20 for one beer!!! I mean come on. Oil won't last forever and whisky isn't the safest thing to back up an economy on. Theres going to be some interesting debates over next 8 months.

That Americans are arrogant and insensitive to other cultures? Well, then you are offended by the truth my friend.

Do you care to elaborate on your so called Truth? I am a USA Vet that severed overseas and I love the cultures of the Countries I lived in and visited. To label all Americans as arrogant and insensitive to other cultures is like saying all white people are racist. I am not sure what your are referring to about Scotland being Independent from the UK.

Did you really think you would curry favor here by disrespecting what is probably the largest sector on this forum? I don't think we Americans hold a Monopoly on bad attitudes or bad behavior. I don't count myself among the "ugly American" persona.

There is a definition of an independent country. What the pro independence people are talking about will not result in Scotland meeting the definition of being an independent country. What, then, are we being asked to vote for?

There is a an under tide of of anti-union feeling here. It mostly comes out in petty acts of vandalism. Things like a sign announcing that one town was placed in the Britain in Bloom contest having the "Britain" crossed off. One source of minor amusement to me is that many of the Saltires (Scottish flags) that I see painted here, there, and everywhere are not correct. (The Saltier is not a "true" cross and is the part of the Union flag that gives it a right and wrong way up. Most of what I see around are true crosses.)

For now, as I have no idea what independence means I can't make up my mind one way or another.

Cheers,

C.

To go on an open forum and comment on how the country which you were born in is consumed with arrogance and the inability to accept other cultures sounds like a very arrogant statement in itself. I think you need to speak for yourself instead of judging a nation with your opinion. I usually keep my mouth shut, but I am an American and I love this country and would die for it and I don't like anyone smearing its good name. I'm part Scottish, so those of you on the other side of the big pond, please forgive me for venting a little steam.....

Hello,

First of all, I'm from the US (by birth, not choice). We all know that the US is rife with arrogance and no desire to undrstand other cultures. So I hope that the term "Scot" that I use in the title of this post is not offensive or derogatory (spelling?) in any way. If it is please correct me immediately!!!

Anyway, I digress, what do all of you from Scotland think about this whole independance from the UK thing? I've read several stories about it but none of them have entered any public opinion on the matter.

Again, I love this forum and the people on it and would hate for anyone anywhere to be offended.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Yeah ... you've offended just about everyone. You are here by birth ... not by choice. I happen to know it's not THAT expensive to get ticket to where ever you CHOOSE to be from. Hell, I'll be glad to start up a collection to boot you out if you'll promise to go.

I've been to several countries, I've tried to understand and get along with the people in each one. For the most part, they get along with me just fine. This country does more to support and understand other countries than almost any other country in the world. Name one other that send money to it's enemy countries to help the people NOT fighting us.

Please forgive me if my tone was combative, believe me my tone is one of concern and regret for what I feel we have turned into as a nation.

My intention in this gross generalization was not to offend any specific person or population of the 300+ million people living in America today. I love this country too and everything it has to offer but I think that our priorities as a nation have gone far askew.

I feel like the American culture pushes itself on a lot of other cultures, Ex: We call our President "The Leader of the Free World"-- I'm pretty sure Canada's a free country, does our president rule over them? Same scenario with Great Britain, France, Scotland, and all of the other parts of the "free world". Children in many other countries are required to learn English as a second language and many know three languages. Why do we not require our children to learn a second language at all, we assume everyone else in the world will speak English when we travel abroad.

This really went the wrong direction, I'm terribly sorry.

Interesting, sounds like a bit of a page out of the Quebec book. Similar support, who knows what will happen.

This will be my last reply and last look at this thread. Hopperfisher, as I said before ... You are welcome encouraged to go to which ever country you think it better. Please.